Mixing Rhythm Guitars

Alexchapel

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2011
Just looking for some tips on mixing rhythm guitars, any tips or tricks you guys use?

I use an Axe FX Ultra for guitar tones so the quality is definitely there, but I just have such a hard time getting like that "airy" feeling in the guitars you know? They just sound almost too direct, though I know I am recording direct so it's kind of silly to say that, but I've heard POD tones that sound more airy and realistic then what I'm getting from my Axe FX.

So my question is what are your favorite tricks and plug-ins for rhythm guitars? All I use currently is just EQ. High and Low passes, then notching out yucky frequencies. I've tried stereo spreading on the rhythm guitar bus which kind of helped widen them out and I've tried PSP vintage warmer and the Waves JJP Guitars as well which were pretty cool but I always just ended up going back to EQ only.

I do it on almost everything actually. I just change the ips according to what sound I want. Guitars i usually use about 15ips. Helps smooth out highs. Should probably point out I only use amps/cabs/mics so chances are it's sounding more real by default, but the smoothing properties it offers, in particular to the upper mids and high end, might help you a little. I don't mind the axe fx, but I could still feel that digital rigidity in the upper mids that has put me off modellers.

Have you tweaked around with the sag options etc as well?

I do it on almost everything actually. I just change the ips according to what sound I want. Guitars i usually use about 15ips. Helps smooth out highs. Should probably point out I only use amps/cabs/mics so chances are it's sounding more real by default, but the smoothing properties it offers, in particular to the upper mids and high end, might help you a little. I don't mind the axe fx, but I could still feel that digital rigidity in the upper mids that has put me off modellers.

Have you tweaked around with the sag options etc as well?

I'll have to try some tape saturation, thanks for the tip.

And I have my Sag at 1 notch above off, as this sounds the tightest to me, I'll mess around with adding more of it to the tone to see if it will let it breathe a little more.

The Axe FX II actually has a "room" parameter to make guitars more realistic.... really never understood why they couldn't have put this on the Ultra :bah:

Standard and Ultra has a "room" parameter. It's called reverb, there's tons of info and settings about that on the axe-fx wiki if you like to to try "in the room"-reverb although this is probably more about how you tweak the amps or the cab you use.

I've personally never liked sag one step from off. Sounds so cold down there. I like it unedited.

i think it's more a mixing thing than the actual tone that comes out of the axe-fx.
a reverb block can help but as recording verby guitars can end up i a complete mess
i often end up using a reverb plugin as i can change parameters etc. if i don't like it.

another trick may be a light reverb on the master bus, it helps glue everything together
without being distracting. you'll need to find the right plugin for this or course. i use the
softube reverb and it works very well for this.

oh btw, i created a hi gain patch after updating to FW11.
i think it sounds very "3D" "organic" whatever...well the oposite of "direct" (oh i hate tone describing terms! :D)

if you like to try it, here it is 5150 PATCH+IR
for some reason i have a stereo cab block with twice the same IR loaded.
you can load the IR to two user spaces or just insert a mono cab block and set it to the included IR.

cheers
S.

Tape saturation, compression (Vintage Warmer ON EVERYTHING !!! :loco:) and a little Reverb on the master/on the guitars when youre not lazy as hell always make guitars sound cooler, It upgrades them a lot and gives "the professional sound".