Jeff Loomis Rhythm Tone

129148100833855816.jpg

I'M DOIN IT FOR THE LULZ.

I've noticed that when you spend your adolescence thinking you're just a bit more clever than everyone else, sooner or later you're going to encounter someone who can't be bothered to argue with you and instead just punches you in the face.

life lesson right there bud. And lol at the pics in the previous page, so true hahahaha

This the tone he is talking about?

I hope not. Muffled and lacking high-end sizzle. And lacking punch in the playing too, surely. I can't see very well but maybe you should hit the strings a bit harder and a bit closer to the bridge? It's really dark though so I can't see, just a guess.

edit: lol guitar rig
reedit : nice solo
rereedit : proof that tone is in the hands [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2SbwNyBSM&feature=related[/ame]

Hey, guys, I'm here looking for some tips for getting that Jeff Loomis punch and clarity in my rhythm playing.

When Jeff plays rhythm it's distinctively Jeff. He's one of the few players who has a unique lead AND rhythm sound. His rhythm has this attack that sounds like it's got a bass drum underneath, it's very percussive. I've talked to Pat O'Brien of Cannibal Corpse, and he told me that Jeff has a very strong picking technique, which I have since adapted, but I still can't get that quick punch that his rhythm has.

I forgot this part at the beggining, so Pat O brien told him the trick is his picking technique, he had it from the very first post, but noooo of course that can't be it, he "adapted" his picking technique in an instant, so check that out and let's look for AxeFx presets instead

Christ Loomis digs the fuck IN to strings, love it.

Based on the kind of pick he uses and one of his interviews I don't really think his digs in to the strings that much. He uses a tortex sharp 1.5mm which is a think and really hard pick and you have to be really precise and use just the tip or else it get stuck in the strings during fast/intricate stuff. I've also started to use this pick recently and it definitely needs some getting used to, especially for leads.

Based on the kind of pick he uses and one of his interviews I don't really think his digs in to the strings that much. He uses a tortex sharp 1.5mm which is a think and really hard pick and you have to be really precise and use just the tip or else it get stuck in the strings during fast/intricate stuff. I've also started to use this pick recently and it definitely needs some getting used to, especially for leads.

I dont think it looks or sounds like hes digging in a lot either

I tend to not really dig in particularly hard either.
I just use fairly light gauge strings (9-56 on a 7 string) and a fairly thick pick, yet my playing does not lack that percussive quality at all that can be perceived as hitting the strings REALLY hard.
Meshuggah use that same approach, light gauge strings and a relatively light picking hand, but because the string tension isn't particularly high you don't need to destroy your arm to make it sound good. I think it's just a matter of having the accuracy and technique but brute force is not so necessary.
Some guys like heavier strings and naturally pick harder, so it's just a matter of the individual.