Jeff Loomis Rhythm Tone

Ambivalent

Jun 25, 2007
Hey, guys, I'm here looking for some tips for getting that Jeff Loomis punch and clarity in my rhythm playing.

When Jeff plays rhythm it's distinctively Jeff. He's one of the few players who has a unique lead AND rhythm sound. His rhythm has this attack that sounds like it's got a bass drum underneath, it's very percussive. I've talked to Pat O'Brien of Cannibal Corpse, and he told me that Jeff has a very strong picking technique, which I have since adapted, but I still can't get that quick punch that his rhythm has.

I have an Axe-Fx Ultra and I've been messing with this thing for WEEKS, and I have found many many great tones, but I just can't seem to replicate that Loomis rhythm. I've tried my changing my picking, adding similar settings on a TS808 for an extra punch, and it lead me in the right direction I believe, but it's still not all the way there.

Examples:

Every rhythm he has played, but the most obvious examples are

1:06 on Born
Ambivalent intro
2:09 on Opulent Maelstrom (one of my favorite riffs lulz)
This Godless Endeavor, the main riff
Enemies of Reality intro
2:03 on She Comes in Colors

I don't really know what else to put, because it's hard to point out specific spots where this percussive-ness shows the most, because it shows throughout the entirety of his playing.

Thanks in advanced guys.

Would it help if I told you that, for the section you note on Born, there IS a kick a drum syncing up with the rhythm part? :p

Would it help if I told you that, for the section you note on Born, there IS a kick a drum syncing up with the rhythm part? :p

I was talking more about the lead part, which was stupid on my part because this is about his rhythm tone, but it still applies because it still has the same tone I want. :loco: But the rhythm under that section is yet another good example of that percussive sound I'm looking for.

I suppose it could be those magic objects at the end of his left hand...his FINGERS?!?!

I bet those open string palm muted sections have a lot to do with his fingers. :rolleyes: Especially how I'm talking about his percussive attack...

Don't give me the left-hand talk, because my left hand is very refined, and that is not problem. It's not even a factor.

I bet those open string palm muted sections have a lot to do with his fingers. :rolleyes: Especially how I'm talking about his percussive attack...

Don't give me the left-hand talk, because my left hand is very refined, and that is not problem. It's not even a factor.

I was joking man :D

His strings must help the tone, hes tuned to A# and uses a nice fat 70/maybe 72 for the low string.

Thick strings, not huge amounts of gain. He uses a .70 for his lowest string.

Yeah, I've been using the a 70 gauge for quite some time now, at first it felt unnecessary, but now I can't play on anything thinner (for a 7th string, that is) :loco:

I've tried dialing back the gain as well, but I never really got too in depth with it, I'll give that some more go-arounds.

EDIT:

And I'm glad to see you were joking... I was thinking "Fuck, another one of those 'THE TONES IN HIS FINGERZ DUR' guys." lol :D

Yup, I'm already using the same 1.5mm sharp pick that Jeff uses (or used to use, nowadays he's onto the 2.0mm, and a set of slightly lighter strings).

Angle of your pick as well. So important. If you are picking completely flat against the string you aren't going to get it to sound extremely aggressive.

I would've put that if that's what I meant, but it wasn't...

EDIT:

And the pick angle definitely plays a role, but I've made that adjustment to my playing as well :D I feel like I'm only missing one or two factors. His rhythm tone is by far my favorite.

When we say 'its all in the fingers', we don't mean that literally - its in his PLAYING. Not necessarily him putting his fingers on the frets, but the way that he plays. It took me about a year to decipher that one >.>

Jeff does have a REALLY distinctive style, but its due 95% to his playing. It's not something you can really emulate, any more than a singer trying to emulate another singer's style - it's never going to sound as good as if you worked on improving YOUR style.

You can't just change the angle of your pick and kablammo, instant Loomis. Even Andy said Loomis is the best guitarist he's worked with. It's not something you can copy just by changing your strings, unfortunately.

Post some clips up and we can help you on YOUR tone, or post a vid and let others show how to improve your playing, but 'how do play like jeff?' is a deadend I'm afraid.

I was under the impression that he had recorded with an 80 for his low B (possibly just on Dead Heart...) and played with the 1.5mm Tortex Sharp picks - those picks somehow stand out even among all of the other sharp, heavy picks I've tried (including jazz picks at four times the thickness) and it's hard to not smash the hell out of strings with picks like that.

Jeff

I'm not asking how to play like Jeff, though... and I didn't ask some incredibly ambiguous question about Jeff's tone... just simply how he gets that initial percussive punch in his rhythm playing. I'm not out to decipher the in's and out's of his whole playing style. It's most likely not some cryptic writing that lies only within the confines of Jeff Loomis's mind.

More than likely I have the technique for the rhythm sound down, because it's shows in my playing, but it seems to be covered up by something in my tone, therefore I am looking to see if there is something in his settings that keeps his percussive playing sharp and clear and not poopoo and muddy.

Clips to be had soon. Also, I don't mean to sound like a dick, I've just been trying to get that damn attack and IT DUN WERK

The closest things I've heard have all come from whacking big strings with thick picks, hence my response. What else is there to say?

Jeff

Well seeing as I don't play acoustic metal I'm going to have to have some help with the other side of the chain...

You know... the part that after you hit the big strings with the thick pick where the sound comes out? That's the part. Any frequencies I should cut/boost?