Better speakers for Metal Rhythm playing?

SHIBbYinc

New Metal Member
Sep 2, 2009
I have been tinkering with my rig lately and I was wondering about my speakers. Currently I am running everything through my 412 loaded with GT12-75's, However I am beginning to thinking that those speakers tend to favour lead playing more than rhythm (I am a rhythm player in my band).

So here is my question!

Are V30's better for rhythm playing and are GT12-75's better for Lead playing typically?

I just want opinions from your guys' personal experience. I look up to a lot of you guys on this forum! :)

I played T-75s for years and for metal tones rhythm and lead are garbage if you aren't playing thrash or trying to get that scratchy European Melodic Death Metal sound. Get some V30s and call it a day.

I want to fill up everything between 100hz and 2-3khz primarily. blending with the bass in the lows (350hz and down to make the overall sound heavy) and leaving the higher frequencies to the lead guitar (like 2-6khz but still blending at 2-3khz). I am playing through a 6505+ (on the green channel) so it already has that upper mid range bite. It feels as though the T75's have a accentuates the upper mid bite but are lacking the in the mids to low mids where my rhythm sound is gonna count. I am trying my best to get my band's sonic image so down that all the sound guy has to do when we play live is set up mic's and adjust the levels and still be able to hear everyone, or at least as close as I can to that as possible. :p

Well if you want more bite...give a red channel a go. Also V30s have a lot of the lower mids, less bass but definitely tighter (especially on the red channel). They also have less of the upper mids and have a more extended high range compared to the 75s which lends them to sounding more natural and balanced. They may be more nasally and not as "heavy" in the low end, but their resonate frequency is a bit lower and they will absolutely crunch you with the amount of crunch they have compared to the smoothness of the 75s.

Lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist? That's pretty rare in metal (i presume the band in question is a metal band), surely you're both playing rhythm most of the time and then one plays a lead part every so often?

He plays Leads probably about 50-60% of the time, it isn't that common I guess but it makes our sound fairly distinct! We also have a keyboard player (and we do death metal vocals). So I guess having a good sonic balance is almost a complete must for us just so that people can appreciate the whole sound. well... I hope that they would appreciate it :p lol