Jeff Loomis Rhythm Tone

For the record I was making that observation after watching Loomis play in one of those videos... he was killing the strings on more than one occasion but I guess I'm blind?

It's brute force AND accuracy. They aren't mutually exclusive. If you use thick strings (which IIRC, Loomis does) you -need- a strong attack or it just doesn't sound good.

IIRC, he now uses 9-64 gauge strings. Relatively heavy on the bottom for rhythm but light on top for easier of bending and vibrato I guess.
He may have been using the 10-70 in that video however

IIRC, he now uses 9-64 gauge strings. Relatively heavy on the bottom for rhythm but light on top for easier of bending and vibrato I guess.
He may have been using the 10-70 in that video however

Interesting. I'm using 11-70 on his signature. Sounds really, really good. Anything thinner doesn't feel very responsive, goes out of tune too much.

I use thick strings to cater for my picking style though. Beating the crap out of my guitar when I play it is probably 50% of the fun I get from playing, so I need strings that won't give up on me.

Christ Loomis digs the fuck IN to strings, love it.

Ya he really kicks the shit out of it! Fucking amazing how the entire time he plays the intro to your Poison Throne hes just kicking the piss out of the strings and the part doesn't sound all that aggressive, but he really fucking digs in when the heavy section comes in.

fucking nuts how hard he pics.