Chorus on rhythm guitars

Matthias King

The Machine
I generally like some subtle chorus on rhythm guitars, but I can't find a chorus plug-in that I'm totally happy with. I have tried the Sony Chorus, and a chorus/flanger plug-in from Izotope that is bundled with ACID Pro 7, and a freebie called "Bass Chorus."

They're ok, but I haven't found a sound I completely like from any of them. Since I haven't been able to find one I really like, I've left chorus off my guitars, but ultimately I'd still like to use it if I could find the right one. Can anyone suggest any other good quality, good sounding chorus plug-ins I could try? Some kind of "go to" chorus?

Thanks.

Personally, I've not found any chorus plug-in that I really like - I've tried loads (can't think of any names off-hand), but I always end up just recording with my old DOD pedal instead. Part of it is that I always run my chorus before my amp so using plug-ins obviously sounds totally different, but they never sound as good as a pedal in the loop anyway.

Steve

what a plugin does to a guitar and what a pedal does to a guitar a reaaaalllly different, you really may want to try using a piece of hardware like a rack unit or a pedal to achieve your chorus sounds.

what a plugin does to a guitar and what a pedal does to a guitar a reaaaalllly different, you really may want to try using a piece of hardware like a rack unit or a pedal to achieve your chorus sounds.

I record dry through a DI for later reamping, so that's not really an option. However, if it were, I'd use my Danelectro Cool Cat. That thing is the shit. Too bad I can't use it.

And thanks for the heads up on the Voxengo chorus. I didn't realize they made one. Their stuff is usually pretty good. I'm looking on their website and I can't find it. What's it called? Is it the Vintage Modulator?

I record dry through a DI for later reamping, so that's not really an option. However, if it were, I'd use my Danelectro Cool Cat. That thing is the shit. Too bad I can't use it.

And thanks for the heads up on the Voxengo chorus. I didn't realize they made one. Their stuff is usually pretty good. I'm looking on their website and I can't find it. What's it called? Is it the Vintage Modulator?

couldn't you just plug into the effect pedal (going into the amp of course), instead of just the amp when you reamp?

The dry reamp signal can just route THROUGH the pedal before it hits the amp, just like you'd use a Tube Screamer. Or record the DI track with the pedal. The chorused signal is what the amp would hear anyway if you were plugged in Guitar > Chorus > Amp the same way if you send CHORUS DI > REAMP > AMP or CLEAN DI > REAMP > CHORUS > AMP

The dry reamp signal can just route THROUGH the pedal before it hits the amp, just like you'd use a Tube Screamer. Or record the DI track with the pedal. The chorused signal is what the amp would hear anyway if you were plugged in Guitar > Chorus > Amp the same way if you send CHORUS DI > REAMP > AMP or CLEAN DI > REAMP > CHORUS > AMP

yeah, that was my point, but you explained it better!

couldn't you just plug into the effect pedal (going into the amp of course), instead of just the amp when you reamp?

I only use softsims. I don't have any boutique or high-end amps to run to, so I just don't bother. Otherwise that would be a great option.

And metaltastic, your reply was real constructive and helpful. What's the point of even replying if that's all you have to say?

I record dry through a DI for later reamping,

Oh you said you reAMP it, so I figured you were actually reAMPING not just putting a plug on your dry sig.

As I was saying though, it IS an option if you commit your chorus to the recorded DI signal. It's the same exact thing an amp or sim would hear from a chorused guitar if you were to use a pedal. That's how you'll get the chorus to sound the way you want it. Trust me. Part of recording is learning to commit to a sound. Not EVERYTHING needs to be edited later or find new sounds later or this and that later. Find a sound you like, commit to it and let your song breathe that way. Point in case, whoever it was that records Rage Against The Machine and Muse and those cats (I can't think of his name right now) intentionally drives his preamp to the point of saturation when recording vocals. That means that the voice is DISTORTED on tape (or ITB, whatever) That means that vocal take, come hell or high water will have that saturation on it throughout every process. He commits to that sound. If you know you want chorus, commit to the chorus, run the pedal while you DI and then sim your distortion. It's part of recording audio instead of recording just performance and letting software simulate EVERYTHING else.

I mean, are we making music here or are we playing video games with our guitar sound? I feel like if you let everything happen with plugins and simulators and soft-everything, you're playing big-boy video games instead of actually being an audio engineer.

/rant

:saint:

Evintide H3000 (plugin or real deal) best chorus to my ears, sounds so good just makes you want to put it on everything, so I do.

I´m all for what chonchball says, you could record the DI with your chorus pedal, if that´s the kind of sound you like it will work well with adding ampsims later.

and dude, metaltastic is like the nicest and coolest guy in all the boards, he obviously wasn´t calling you gay for real, he was just joking as we all do once in a while, no harm done

I´m all for what chonchball says, you could record the DI with your chorus pedal, if that´s the kind of sound you like it will work well with adding ampsims later.

and dude, metaltastic is like the nicest and coolest guy in all the boards, he obviously wasn´t calling you gay for real, he was just joking as we all do once in a while, no harm done

ass licking thread!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!