Ride the lightning tone - help

Sidious

Apr 4, 2005
Hey Guys

I hope some of you might be able to help me. I've always digged the tone of the ride the lightning. To me, its the best tone of the whole metallica catalogue.

Theres something in the tone i cant really define. Is it a slapback delay? A special kind of reverb? A flanger?

I came close with using a very subtle chorus, but i dont think its a chorus. A chorus fluctuates, and the tone on the album does not. Its easy to hear on Call of ktulu.

Could someone shed some light on this for me?

Hey. Thanks for the answer. Although i wasnt talking about the clean guitars. I mean the distorted guitars all throughout the album. The clean guitars have a chorus im pretty sure.

Here are some notes I found on the world wide web:

• Jose Arrendondo Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP
  • Pro Co Rat Distortion Pedal
  • Marshall 4x12

Replacement 100 watt Marshall Heads that were later modified

• Ibanez Tube Screamer-Last time James used an overdrive/distortion pedal
  • Marshall 4x12
Notes/Quotes

• "Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just sit on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that **** for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion pedal was on Ride the Lightning. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer, like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a ****** coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to not make it sound like a pedal..." Guitar Player, October 1992

Here are some notes I found on the world wide web:

• Jose Arrendondo Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP
  • Pro Co Rat Distortion Pedal
  • Marshall 4x12

Replacement 100 watt Marshall Heads that were later modified

• Ibanez Tube Screamer-Last time James used an overdrive/distortion pedal
  • Marshall 4x12
Notes/Quotes

• "Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just sit on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that **** for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion pedal was on Ride the Lightning. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer, like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a ****** coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to not make it sound like a pedal..." Guitar Player, October 1992
Hey buddy. Thanks for replying. Im Sorry to say I already knew those things. But if you listen to the guitars there’s some kind of modulation going on, that I want to replicate. I just don’t know where to start.

I guess I am not hearing the same thing you are. Are talking rhythm or lead? There is a pretty fair amount of "room" sound on the guitars, which I assume is a loud cab in a small room, or maybe some bleed from the monitors when they were tracking? I dont hear modulation at all.