Please help me quad track

deffpony

May 16, 2010
I have been a member of this forum for quite some time now and I have searched the world over for advice on quad tracking. I feel like I am applying the appropriate methods but getting terrible results. I will list what I have tried and what I am encountering. I am partial to Revalver myself as I find that other sims tend to be really woofy, but I am still open to anything that can help. I would very much appreciatte some advice or answers to my questions thanks in advance.

I have tried-

Slightly muddier mid scooped tone on the hard panned tracks and a more presence based less gain tone on the inner track---Sounds fairly weak.

Duplicate tones panned 100/80 either with different cabs or same cabs. Also applied some eq to slightly differ the outer and inner---Chorus effect no matter how tight

All variations of volume, boosted inner or outer or even same volume---Chorus effect

My biggest problem is definitely chorus and harsh distortion character. I have had some luck with descent dual tracking methods but it always lacks fullness, no wall of sound. I can kill the chorus if I drop the level on either the inner or outer track to the point where its almost gone. I usually use Revalver 6505+ with a TSS in front. Gain-1 Tone-5 Level-8. I have had better luck with a mesa cab on the outer with a hpf lpf of 55h and 10kh and a framus cab centered hpf lpf of 60h and 12kh. Im playing with both an ESP MH-1000 and a gibson Les Paul. EMG 81s in the bridge for both. I have searched the forums and every post I come across here or anywhere else for that matter seems so "general" that I cant figure out what Im doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciatted. I would love to be able to hear the difference between peoples outer panned tone and inner panned tone.

Are your tracks lined up together? They need to be generally in phase with each other. They won't be equal for obvious reasons, but they need to be lined up together. Also, are you muting the first take while recording the second? I found that if I try to record a second track while monitoring the first I would be delayed a bit. Muting the original would solve the issue for me.

I will post something shortly so to give you all an idea as to what Im getting. As far as in line with eachother the tracks seem to be perfectly in line. I record one track at a time making sure it is in time and then repeat. I have definitely been using the bass guitar to add fullness, slight overdrive, with a moderate peak at around 100-200hz scooping out 80hz to make room for the kick. It seems anytime there is a breakdown where the rythm guitar is standing out, especially if the left and right channel are playing something different, I realize how nasty the tone sounds in the mix.

Does anyone else use chorus when quad-tracking? Seems to me you'd want to avoid chorus if you have 4 rhythm guitars.

Does anyone else use chorus when quad-tracking? Seems to me you'd want to avoid chorus if you have 4 rhythm guitars.

I think he's implying that quad tracking is 'creating' a chorus effect. He's not actually putting chorus on the tracks.