Quad tracking guitars

now i'm confused....

by quad tracking you mean 4 track for 2 guitar panned acoordingly or 4 track for each guitar 2L and 2R?

and if you got 2 guitars you record 8 tracks?

now i'm confused....

by quad tracking you mean 4 track for 2 guitar panned acoordingly or 4 track for each guitar 2L and 2R?

and if you got 2 guitars you record 8 tracks?

Simply put- Quad tracked means FOUR, So you have FOUR TOTAL tracks. 2 tracks panned left (100% & 80%, or however far you like it) and 2 tracks panned right to the same percentage. All 4 guitars playing the exact same riff. Then for another guitar you can do another 4 if u want to,there really isnt any right or wrong way to doing any of it but quad tracking is always 4 tracks playing the same thing.(I believe sometimes it can be 2 tracks playing and another 2 doing harmonized but im not sure on that) I tend to usually only do 1-2 for the leads and leave the quad tracking for the rythms.

FWIW... I hardly ever do quad tracking. I always find it a bit too mushy and undefined. Maybe I use too much gain for quad-tracking... I dunno. But dual always tend to sound better imho.

Simply put- Quad tracked means FOUR, So you have FOUR TOTAL tracks. 2 tracks panned left (100% & 80%, or however far you like it) and 2 tracks panned right to the same percentage. All 4 guitars playing the exact same riff. Then for another guitar you can do another 4 if u want to,there really isnt any right or wrong way to doing any of it but quad tracking is always 4 tracks playing the same thing.(I believe sometimes it can be 2 tracks playing and another 2 doing harmonized but im not sure on that) I tend to usually only do 1-2 for the leads and leave the quad tracking for the rythms.

Na, it's four tracks total. 2 playing the same riff/duplicating performance, and 2 of the other. If you did 4 and 4 that would be Octo-tracking. :D

Dual tracking = 2 tracks or 1 track from each guitarist
Quad tracking = 4 tracks or 2 tracks from each guitarist

That doesnt seem right cuz if both guitarists are playing seperate things then (in how you're explaining it) all you're actually doing is dual tracking each of there parts. I thought that dual and quad tracking referred to part and not person. Ie- quad track rythm, dual track lead.

If im wrong then thats all well and good but now im just completely confused.

Dual tracking = 2 tracks or 1 track from each guitarist
Quad tracking = 4 tracks or 2 tracks from each guitarist

Dual Tracking = 2 or 1
Quad Tracking = 4 or 2 (Given)
Dual Tracking = 2 (Given)
Dual Tracking = 1 (Given)
1 = 2 (Substitution)
Quad Tracking = 4 (Given)
Quad Tracking = 2 (Given)
2 = 4 (Substition)
1 = 4 (Transitive)
Dual Tracking = Quad Tracking (Substitution)

and i assume if you have a lead part you want to get in the middle you put it on the L80 R80 and the rythem on the L100 R100 tracks, and if you want each part seperatly you put one part on L80 L100 and one on R80 R100?

That doesnt seem right cuz if both guitarists are playing seperate things then (in how you're explaining it) all you're actually doing is dual tracking each of there parts. I thought that dual and quad tracking referred to part and not person. Ie- quad track rythm, dual track lead.

If im wrong then thats all well and good but now im just completely confused.

It really depends on how they are panned. If you have two different parts both panned LR I would just call it two parts dual tracked, but if there are two different parts panned L or R I would call it quad tracking. Like in Appetite for destruction both guitars are playing different things, but most people would agree that the album is still dual tracked.

Dual/Quad tracking is NOT about how many musicians you've got. It's simply about the guitar part itself.

Some guitar parts benefit from dual tracking, but sound mushy with quad tracking. Some guitar parts don't even require any double tracking whatsoever.

If your track is entirely rhythmical guitar playing, then the whole of it might sound good double-tracked... but don't feel you absolutely HAVE to double-track everything. You don't. I hardly ever double-track solo's for instance...

On our album, I double-tracked the heavy parts. So two tracks for me, and two tracks for the other guitarist. My tracks were panned 100L and 70L .... and his tracks were panned 100R and 70R.

It would've sounded utter shite if I had panned mine 100L/100R and his 80L/80R.

K maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think so.

When people speak of dual tracking they usually pan let's say...

<100LG1 100RG2>

When speaking about quad tracking they usually pan

<100LG1 <80LG2 80RG1> 100RG2>

Yeah but dude it refers to the guitar part not the guitar player.

I'm just saying what I believe quad tracking is. We can agree to disagree. I can't think of bands with 2 guitarists that always are or aren't playing the same exact thing. And i've never seen anyone post about panning "quad tracked guitars" (if 2 guitars playing different/complimentary parts)

<100L G1/G2 <80L G2/G1 80R G1/G2> 100R G2/G1>

That shit would just make a horrific mess. Albums with 1 guitar on the right and 1 guitar on the left are considered "dual tracked". No matter if it's 2 guitarists playing different things or 1 guitarist doubling his parts.

Quad tracked = 4 guitar tracks panned accordingly
Dual tracked = 2 guitar tracks panned accordingly

I'm with Force666 on this one. How ever I think you should track as many guitars as needed. I'm tending to go with one left one right these days.

Isnt that dual tracking?

Actually people mess that up all the time.

If you take two guitars (one left and one right) as given (Its pretty much a standard situation, you won't have one single guitar very often) it would be called double-tracking because you simply track the standard thing two times.
Some people tend to name it quad-tracking because there four guitars in the mix - which is quite obviously also right.
I think quad tracking for four guitars is a little bit more appropriate cause the numbers actually match, but then again those guys actually double track their performance, its really fucking with your head if you think about it :loco: .
Just call "stereo" double tracking then.

Real quad-tracking (or octo-tracking :D) is only done by a very few bands (Behemoth tend to use more than 3 guitars on the rythm tracks both left and right).

/ Oh fuck, didn't see the second page :D