3 rhythm guitars

codeman

Jul 1, 2010
London
I've been listening to Hypocrisy and Bolt Thrower and I can hear more than 2 rhythm guitars.

Has anyone here successfully mixed 3 (or 4 but not in the Sneap way) guitars?

How would you do panning, levels, eqing?

Let me elaborate a bit more. Hypocrisy seem to treat guitars L & R as one guitar, in that they both play the same part. The middle guitar plays the second part. I am not sure though if the middle one is panned dead center or if it's 2 guitars panned slightly off center both ways.

Well i just recently did a project where one of the songs had kind of lead guitar but still played in the rythm area. A trick is just to record it twice and pan it perhaps 50 L/R or do as I did pan it 35-50 opposite of the cymbal/hihat that is being played in the OH, so the balance in the mix is still good

There isn't really any defined way to do this.
Probably of biggest concern is clashing with the vocals first and foremost

The 50% L/R seems quite reasonable. I'm looking into this as I am about to record a song in which there's a "south of heaven" type of riff where both guitars play in 5ths but it would be nice to have an extra layer of rhythm underneath.

The 50% L/R seems quite reasonable. I'm looking into this as I am about to record a song in which there's a "south of heaven" type of riff where both guitars play in 5ths but it would be nice to have an extra layer of rhythm underneath.

Yeah go that route, then you wont have any problem with volume differences at all

there is a group called lower definition... they use three guitars cascaded in each panning law from phantom center.

LEFT: rhythm = 100% ...first lead = 50% ...second lead = 25% / RIGHT: rhythm = 100% ...first lead = 50% ...second lead = 25%

you can achieve this with subtractive equalization.

This band is much easier because the extra guitars are leads like solos. We're talking 3 low octave riffs playing at the same time.

there is a group called lower definition... they use three guitars cascaded in each panning law from phantom center.

LEFT: rhythm = 100% ...first lead = 50% ...second lead = 25% / RIGHT: rhythm = 100% ...first lead = 50% ...second lead = 25%

you can achieve this with subtractive equalization.