Any vocalists here?

TrevJ

May 2, 2001
Ottawa
I have known of Devin's works for quite some time, but it's only recently that I've really gotten into his stuff, and I freaking love it, especially the vocals. I like his vocals so much that I'm actually starting to consider taking vocal lessons or at least practicing on my own so I could develop a voice with the kind of power and emotive quality as he has (if you knew me, and how shy I am, this would be a huge groundbreaking event, but such is the power of Devin :p).

Anyway, if any experienced vocalists read this, what kind of things should I be practicing? Are vocal lessons really that important, or can I just teach myself? What kind of techniques does Devin use?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Pieless
HI there! I`m a vocalist. I started singing in a metal combo at the age of 16. With 18 I started to take singing lessons. Now I am 22 and it`s amazing how much I learnt about my voice and myself in the lessons! In my opinion taking lessons is not the most important thing, but since you said that you are quite shy it will help you becoming more self-confident because you learn how to use your voice and you know what you have to do when you`re not that well but you have to sing in public. The most important thing is that you have someone listening to you who is a experienced singer because you don`t here all the mistakes you make yourself.It`s a question of sound. But only take lessons if you trust and like the vocal teacher. There are many weird people giving singing lessons that don`t have a clue how to use the voice. Find someone who supports YOUR voice and doesn`t want you to copy someone. Experience your own voice and personality (this may sound stupid but unless you don`t try to improve and find your own style of singing you will never sing as good as and convincing as Devin).

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll practice on my own for a bit until I'm at least moderately comfortable with the way I sound, and then I might seek out a teacher. And then Devin better look out. :p