Do you think vocalists are underestimated?

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
I've always feel like when it comes to bands, the vocalist tends to get a lot of flak for some reason. I always thought it was because many people said they don't play instruments. Though the vocals are an instrument themselves. It takes a lot of courage to be on a stage with just the mic in your hand screaming your heart out. They can help form a rhythm, melody, and can even solo. But in terms of heavy metal I haven't heard a vocal solo that didn't follow guitar or vice versa. People have called some vocalists lazy because they don't practice as much as a guitarist, bassist or drummer. But vocals are very sensitive and they can't be overdone and used like a guitar. In my book, I say sticking to vocals is perfectly fine if someone can't do bass, drums, or guitar at the same time. Multitasking is hard believe me. That's why I'm practicing getting solid bass skills and then I'll jump to vocals. So tell me what you guys think. Do you think they're underestimated?

Tbh I think the guy with the mic gets a free pass in metal more than other genres. He can be flat out bad, but if he "fits the music" people will still like him.

^i feel that way about all instruments personally. there are some styles where a bit of sloppiness only enhances the vibe. a lot of trad metal vocalists are really bad these days though, it's the biggest problem for the genre today. almost seemed like great ones grew on trees in the '80s.

Reactions: Onder
I think singers in most cases have some natural ability that they inherit or something, they realise have some ability and tune into, you could say the samething about certain more well known musicians, does it require ability to be conistant and sing everyday on tour and be a singer, yeah. Can anyone pick up a guitar and play and have fun with it, yeah, do you have to be the next jimmy page, no. I think most of the time people blow shit out of proportion.

I think singers in most cases have some natural ability that they inherit or something, they realise have some ability and tune into, you could say the samething about certain more well known musicians, does it require ability to be conistant and sing everyday on tour and be a singer, yeah. Can anyone pick up a guitar and play and have fun with it, yeah, do you have to be the next jimmy page, no. I think most of the time people blow shit out of proportion.
Same thing with vocalists. They don't have to be the next Freddie Mercury or Halford. But if they did that'd be flat out amazing. I think natural ability applies to really anything. Someone who ain't really the best on guitar finds they have a natural ability with drums and they can drum like a beast.

They're just the most dispensable, it seems. Not all the time, but in most cases. If I think of my all time favorite bands and then try and decide which member leaving would have the least impact, it's almost always the bass player.

Reactions: CiG
They're just the most dispensable, it seems. Not all the time, but in most cases. If I think of my all time favorite bands and then try and decide which member leaving would have the least impact, it's almost always the bass player.
I've seen more guitar players and vocalists be treated as dispensable. You can't find too many bassists who are that perfect, tight, or fluid. That kinda ties into the issue with vocalists, why do some see them as dispensable?

Because the strongest parts of the bands I like are the vocals, guitars and drums. That's why.
bass is there to reinforce the drums and rhythm. I think without a bassist most music would sound like a load of radio static. And a lot of bassists are need, a lot of bands will start with drums and bass first then work their way up. Guitarists are needed-yes; but they're all too common. Chances are you can throw a rock out of window and 9/10 hit someone who knows how to play guitar (at least averagely). A lot of bands want a bassist, and a damn good one.

I admire people most who play instrument (bass, guitar..) and do vocals at the same time because it's an unbelievable act of force and concentration..
Iam really interested to do also vocals (with bass) sometime but I believe it will never happen anyway.
Same here man. I used to think playing an instrument and singing would affect how high someone could go. But I got proved wrong.

bass is there to reinforce the drums and rhythm. I think without a bassist most music would sound like a load of radio static. And a lot of bassists are need, a lot of bands will start with drums and bass first then work their way up. Guitarists are needed-yes; but they're all too common. Chances are you can throw a rock out of window and 9/10 hit someone who knows how to play guitar (at least averagely). A lot of bands want a bassist, and a damn good one.

Bass players being expendable in extreme metal has been a trope for quite a while. The bass is inaudible in a lot of extreme metal. (And no, I do t need YouTube links of good bass playing, I know it exists) It was a big running joke on Metalocalypse when it was on tv, their bass player had to do outrageous shit 24/7 for anyone to notice him (like playing the bass with his dick) and it really didn't even work.

Bass players being expendable in extreme metal has been a trope for quite a while. The bass is inaudible in a lot of extreme metal. (And no, I do t need YouTube links of good bass playing, I know it exists) It was a big running joke on Metalocalypse when it was on tv, their bass player had to do outrageous shit 24/7 for anyone to notice him (like playing the bass with his dick) and it really didn't even work.
One of the reasons why I've chilled on extreme metal.

Inquisition don't even have a bass player and I don't feel that this detracts from their sound. Bolzer don't have one either, and their sound on Aura is massive. They're doing just fine without one.

Reactions: Onder