Anybody else do this? Curve EQ and Phase Cancellation

Cryo114

Jan 8, 2008
Kent, UK
Ive recently taken to making a Curve EQ spectrum capture of say, a solo part, and then making an fx send channel from the rhythm guitar group, throwing the the Curve Eq Spec on the fx send channel and matching it, then flipping the phase and matching the volumes of the rhythm guitar output and the fx send from it.

Theoretically it then phases out all the prominent frequences used by the solo? Therefore making lots of space for a solo/something else to cut through? Right?

Seriously, Am i off my head thinking this is whats happening? Am i being alittle bit more elaborate for my own good?

well... how does it sound to you? ive never tried so i really couldnt tell ya. not trying to be ignorant, as this kinda interests me... clips please? it could theoretically work and little ideas like this are the father of invention :)

I think it sounds great, how about in a context of a more stereotypical metal solo? Crushing rhythm guitar along with some crazy delay solo perhaps? That might provide a better response to your technique (which is genius, by the way).

Are you saying that you are putting the rhythms "out-of-phase" while the solos kick in?

Also, why would you want to do all this work, when usually, I've found that a strong leads tone just needs a little more Mids (hi or low/depending) than the rhythm, and you're done. Adding just a touch of mids will help the lead sit juuuust on top of the mix.... which, in metal, I think that is where it belongs.

Are you saying that you are putting the rhythms "out-of-phase" while the solos kick in?

Also, why would you want to do all this work, when usually, I've found that a strong leads tone just needs a little more Mids (hi or low/depending) than the rhythm, and you're done. Adding just a touch of mids will help the lead sit juuuust on top of the mix.... which, in metal, I think that is where it belongs.

Theoretically this just removes what the rhythm guitars are doing and leaves the lead area intact, if you'd like to look at it that way. Your way, which I use myself, allows leads to 'sit', but this way would have them 'riding', so to speak... I'd like to hear another solo that wasn't just redoing the rhythm part before judging, though.

Jeff

Very inventive line of thinking on this!!! Being a guitarist I am always trying to find a hole in the spectrum for my leads to peek through, I think you must of had a EUREKA moment with this one. Thanks for sharing it.