Anybody with a Laney GH50L? Have you changed your tubes?

Jamie Morris

New Metal Member
Nov 25, 2009
Woking, Surrey, UK
I have had my Laney GH50L for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with the sound.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on using different tubes, or what sort of sound they'd give in comparison to the factory standard. I'm using the EL34S at the moment.

Jamie

My brother has one and I used it alot after he got his Engl.
He had the tubes changes to 6l6's, he got onto Bob at eurotubes who directed him at a set of tubes to give it a more modern, less marshally tone.
Sounds pretty sweet- tight, plenty of gain and it's quite dark sounding- I've seen a few different bands play through his head and it's pretty nice- not as smooth as his engl but smoother than a marshall with less fizz. Definately much darker than my JCM800

i have 6l6 in mine and my friend has el34 in his.....with el34 its like a high gain jcm 800 on steroids if you like that type of sound.....mine with 6l6 sounds sounds alot darker and heavier something like zakk wylde-- john sykes tone i would say... i wish i could send you samples mine needs new tubes and my friend is in the army:erk:..i have an old clip if you want to get an idea of what it sounds like this is done with a palmer speaker sim....
http://www.netmusicians.org/?search=asasas

mine came stock with 6l6 tubes so the switch was on the 6l6 setting........ if you change tubes to el34 you change the switch to el34 be careful with the switch!!