Anyone doing the Dolby vocal trick?

It's a little vocal exciter trick that used to be pretty popular. You take a Dolby noise reduction card (type A) and modify it to bypass the lower signal bands. When you encodes the signal, you take it (without decoding it) back into your DAW. It adds air to vocals. Andy used it on Jesse's clean vocals on the new Killswitch.

Awesome! I kinda want to get a feel for it before I shell out the bucks on the hardware.

Yeah, I saw you posted that over on gearslutz haha. I don't have Nebula though. Harley said you couldn't make an impulse of it. I figured it'd be just like getting an impulse of any other piece of outboard gear... just run the sine sweep through it and deconvolve it. What do I know though, I've never made an impulse lol.

It's a little vocal exciter trick that used to be pretty popular. You take a Dolby noise reduction card (type A) and modify it to bypass the lower signal bands. When you encodes the signal, you take it (without decoding it) back into your DAW. It adds air to vocals. Andy used it on Jesse's clean vocals on the new Killswitch.

From memory you don't have to mod it for make it work, only filter what you don't want after and your done.

That Nebula program posted up sounds amazing! This isn't just a vocal trick, I love using it on overheads and acoustic guitars too. Anything that needs more air to it, really.