Anyone ever mixed in their car?

8k??????? :OMG:

My parents pay less than 200€ per year :Smug:

Yup. I didn't own the car outright, so had to have full coverage on it - needless to say, I raised as much cash as I could and bout the car outright so I could strip the coverage down to liability only - even then it was still $3k a year!

:cry:

AND... the worst part of it was that I was living in the state of New Jersey at the time - once you get a DUI you don't have the right to pick your auto insurance carrier any more - the state picks one for you, so you could pay $8k a year like I was, or more, or less - whatever comapny took you as a policy holder dictated the cost to you.

Luckily - that was 10 years ago... I definitely learned my lesson!!!!!!

:lol:

I've talked about mixing in the car on Gearslutz a long time back and caught some flack for it. My point is that a lot of folks mix on NS10s, not just reference, but mix on NS10s. That is certainly not a full range speaker nor is it "flat" by any means. BUT a lot of people know them well. I spend two hours a day commuting, and know my car better than I do any other speaker.

I usually get my mix "right" in the house or studio, and then bring the laptop out to the car. Most of the time it is right, but every now and again my low end is wrong, and my JL Audio subs have been a god send in getting it right.

I've talked about mixing in the car on Gearslutz a long time back and caught some flack for it. My point is that a lot of folks mix on NS10s, not just reference, but mix on NS10s. That is certainly not a full range speaker nor is it "flat" by any means. BUT a lot of people know them well. I spend two hours a day commuting, and know my car better than I do any other speaker.

I usually get my mix "right" in the house or studio, and then bring the laptop out to the car. Most of the time it is right, but every now and again my low end is wrong, and my JL Audio subs have been a god send in getting it right.

Pretty much what I intend on trying! Awesome to hear that other guys do this! :kickass:

One warning on being accustomed to car stereos...

While it's good to know how stuff should sound on your car stereo, be careful. While being 'used to' speakers can largely make up for a bumpy response, there is practically *no* way to compensate for a lot of things. Splitting up sound 'changes into two categories, those that lose information (which can't be undone) and those that don't (which can be undone, even if not necessarily easily), makes the distinction clearer - something like a small notch filter to clean the bass up is invertible, since there exists a Q and gain level that can 'undo' the notch (NOTE: I am *not* saying it's easy to find...), but something like a hard lowpass where the noise is greater than some high content is *not* something you can mentally 'undo' by being used to your sound system.

This goes for other sound systems, of course, but cars can mask a lot of problems because most of us don't do a lot of recreational listening in the driver's seat - when driving there's a whole lot of extraneous noise and the focus is away from the music - and we might not notice some problems that we'd notice at a desk in a treated room. If some information (like the contents of some EQ range) is lost, unreasonably large numbers of things could go wrong without a chance at being detected.

That said, I test things in my car, after desktop speakers and headphones, so it's not like I'm predicting doomsday - cars are useful, but at best supplementary.

Jeff

One warning on being accustomed to car stereos...

While it's good to know how stuff should sound on your car stereo, be careful. While being 'used to' speakers can largely make up for a bumpy response, there is practically *no* way to compensate for a lot of things. Splitting up sound 'changes into two categories, those that lose information (which can't be undone) and those that don't (which can be undone, even if not necessarily easily), makes the distinction clearer - something like a small notch filter to clean the bass up is invertible, since there exists a Q and gain level that can 'undo' the notch (NOTE: I am *not* saying it's easy to find...), but something like a hard lowpass where the noise is greater than some high content is *not* something you can mentally 'undo' by being used to your sound system.

This goes for other sound systems, of course, but cars can mask a lot of problems because most of us don't do a lot of recreational listening in the driver's seat - when driving there's a whole lot of extraneous noise and the focus is away from the music - and we might not notice some problems that we'd notice at a desk in a treated room. If some information (like the contents of some EQ range) is lost, unreasonably large numbers of things could go wrong without a chance at being detected.

That said, I test things in my car, after desktop speakers and headphones, so it's not like I'm predicting doomsday - cars are useful, but at best supplementary.

Jeff

Very true. I have Bowers & Wilkins speakers with a really nice custom built amp being used in a well treated room. There is a lot of detail lost between my room and my car, but it's easily appearant when there is a balance issue when listening in my car. I wouldn't want to try listening for reverb tails or do any critical EQ'ing, but it's eye opening to hear how far off balance you can be sometimes.

yea but isn't the stereo image going to be fucked to all hell in the car?

unless you can get a mclaren or something, with a seat in the middle, you're totally screwed...