Anyone ever eBay a car?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
To keep a long story short, I need a car. ASAP.

I have very limited use of my mothers van to get around but this is becoming a big problem as I have a brother (without a car as well) who is also using it (more than me).

Anyone ever buy a car off eBay? Get it shipped?

How does that work with the title and all?

It's either that, or rent a car to get around to look at cars to buy.

Seriouslygoinginsanelately.

No, I always want to take a personal look at the car before I buy it. eBay isn't anything you should consider. It can be broken or have a lot that needs to be fixed. Search via Internet, take a look and try it before you buy a car.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. Though I rarely have access to wheels to get around to look for anything. It's becoming a serious issue. I'm a 31 year old dude.

It's really getting to the point where I guess I need to ask friends for a ride or just rent a car for a few days. I hate asking for outside help.

The only vehicle that I would consider investigating eBay for is some sort of collectors type item, a rare car or something like that. For a simple A to B car I'd always look local - look on Craigslist or the local papers.

A couple of years back I considered looking for a 1970 Chevelle SS like the one I owned back in the late 80's and was investigating ones on eBay but ultimately decided against it - think I was just going through a mid life crisis ;) Us old guys sometimes have those.

Trust me, you want to test drive a used vehicle. And i'm not just saying drive around the block, hop on the highway and go about 70 to 80 MPH. Thats when you can tell if there are any alignment/balancing issues going on with the car or if there are any strange rattles going on. When approaching about 70 MPH let go off the steering wheel see if it steers to one direction on its own (alignment), also check for vibrations. Reason I am telling you is because I just bought a 2006 used car. Drove great around the block, so I bought it. When I went on the highway I noticed steering wheel vibrations as well as rough breaking (rotors were worn). Also when the AC is on I noticed the car trembles (ive been told its the motor mounts). Luckily I've fixed just about everything by now (tires, alignment, struts, etc.) and its running smooth I just ordered the motor mounts so hopefully that will be it. So yea, test drive your car, you might be putting a lot of money into it. Anyways, I had to pay $320 at the DMV to change the title over (on the title we arranged the cost of the car at 4k that is why i had to pay 320 although I actually payed 6k for it, had we put 6k i probably wouldve had to pay 400 to 500 at the dmv) luckily it had just had the SMOG check a few days prior to buying so I didn't have to do the SMOG, if you're buying a used car you may have to do a SMOG check to transfer the title over, smogs are like what $50? After the DMV I was given my registration I went over to insurance broker, paid a $75 fee for processing and added my car to a family plan I'm on. That was pretty much it.