Anyone ever try a 421 on vox?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
I'm gassing like CA-RAZY for a $350 mic, and while I know of the legendary status of the SM7b on vox, I really want a 421 for guitars - not saying the 421 would replace the 7, cuz I eventually want both, but do you guys think the 421 would be an improvement over my current vocal mic, the venerable SM58?

Oh I know Ed, believe me - actually, I didn't mention a 57 at all, I guess you thought I meant I wanted to use the 421 on guitars instead of it, which isn't the case; I'm definitely a worshipper at the altar of the SM57, I just wanted something to complement it ;)

I imagine it won't be of much use for vocals. Grab an at4040, they're great and you're in the states. The 421 has less mids as far as I know and also most dynamics aren't that good for hi-quality vocal recording.

The 421 is a staple of radio for talking into. It really sounds great for that application. It could be interesting on vocals too I would think.

Actually, I used to use a 421 extensively on vocals back in my school days (looong time ago), and always liked it. It has to be one of the most versatile mics out there (it's also always been my favorite on cabs).

Yea My old band recorded at Groovelab studio in Larue,OH

the engineer dude there is close friends with me
He used a 421 U5 the old school one from Germany.....it sounded best on my voice.....

go here http://groovelabstudio.com/
go to the MP3's and under Secular bands.....the band Drayton Sawyer the vocals on that are done with 421 U5
nothing great but it works

hope that helps

The 421 is a staple of radio for talking into. It really sounds great for that application. It could be interesting on vocals too I would think.

Really? I had never heard of it ever being used for broadcast stuff tbh, it's always the SM7 and RE20 that always get mentioned for that - not like I pay too much attention to the field though! :D

Actually, I used to use a 421 extensively on vocals back in my school days (looong time ago), and always liked it. It has to be one of the most versatile mics out there (it's also always been my favorite on cabs).

I actually like it on vocals. Better than a 57/58 in that regard (IMO). Great mic.

Awesome, thanks guys! It's really a matter of which mic I wanna get first, and if the 421 is good (or at least can be better than a 57/58), then that'll definitely be my first purchase!

Yea My old band recorded at Groovelab studio in Larue,OH

the engineer dude there is close friends with me
He used a 421 U5 the old school one from Germany.....it sounded best on my voice.....

go here http://groovelabstudio.com/
go to the MP3's and under Secular bands.....the band Drayton Sawyer the vocals on that are done with 421 U5
nothing great but it works

hope that helps

Cool dude, sounds good, great clarity on the vocals! I'm supremely intimidated by all the varieties of 421's available on ebay, but I'll probably just end up buying new to take the guesswork out of it. And I love how he has a category for "secular bands" :lol:

Damn, don't you guys ever watch VH1 classic? They've got all these old videos of bands from the 60's playing live & 90% of them are singing into 421's. Might have been before the 57 came out or something like that. YES, they work on vocals & can sound very good. Like any other vocal mic, depends on the vocalist.

Well, Cedric from the mars volta uses the 421 live, and he sounds all right, but I donno how well it would sound in the studio.

I'd get 3 57's (or Audix I5) over a 421 anyday tho.