Anyone familiar with Tapco monitors?

Paul Steen

Jan 17, 2006
The Netherlands
I was wondering if someone overhere is familiar with the Tapco monitors.
I haven't seen that much people talking about them so I'm curious about your opinions.
I'm looking for some good nearfield monitors so would like some info on these as well. Anyone?

I have the S8's. I tried them with and without the SW10 woofer. I purchased without. For an 8" driver and the price I feel you can't go wrong. Plenty of punch if you need it and the highs are very clean. It didn't take me very long to get used to using them at all.

Tapco is to Mackie what Squire is to Fender, or Epiphone is to Gibson. It's like...they tried to make a cheaper version of their high quality products. I wouldn't ever buy them. You know what...nevermind, I'm not giving my opinion on monitors anymore. Last time.

Event's are just good. They are accurate. They don't have any wierd boosts or cuts in any frequencies (at least not anywhere near as much as the Tapco monitors), so they are essentially more flat than Tapco's. Plus they get better reviews. :)

Ok I'm done. No more monitor opinions from me, ever again.

~006

006 said:
Ok I'm done. No more monitor opinions from me, ever again.
And why would you do that? You're opinions are quite valuable, man. It's just that in that other thread you slightly lost track of the budjet in question, I think. I, for one, mostly agree with your opinions and I appreciate them. It's just that we work on diferent levels: you're a pro and i'm not (yet).

Edit: sorry, I went way off topic! I'll try to fix it by saying that we have a couple of events at school and I like them a lot. Haven't heard the tapcos, though.

I try and stay away from the words "flat response" when talking about monitors...hey stick a pair of £5000 monitors in a bad sounding/treated room and they will sound pap...I tried the Events A/B against the Tapco S8's in a treated listening room, and I purchased the Tapco's. I found the Events sounded pretty round with no definition, and not as responsive to sudden changes thrown at them...but hey...everyone to there own opinion

events definetley sound better than the tapcos for sure. no one would argue that. in fact electronic musician put them as the best monitors under a grand(which included the mackies). i use the tr8s without any ear fatigue. ever. they are really accurate for the price. i rarely ever get surprised when listening on other systems. the thing that sealed it for me was when i went and got my first mix professionally mastered in a room that is extremely accurate(peerless mastering in boston, ma. accurate to 8hz not 80hz, 8 hz designed by micheal blackmer) and i heard the same thing i heard in my room. i really thought there would be surprises that i didnt hear in my room. but low and behold the events were really true. im not sayin they are the best monitors you can get or im even good at mixing, but for 500.00 you cant do better unless its monitors that cost over a grand that are on sale for 500.00. the event tr8 are based very closely on the event 2020s and those are highly respected monitors in many professional control rooms. that being said, get what you like the sound of. try everything you can in your room and mix on them and get what gives you the best results.

ThatGuitarGuy said:
I had the TR5's and I thought those were pretty cool. I found that it couldn't handle bass as good as I wanted it to, but that is probably solved with the 8s.
yeah, i had the 5s at one point and they werent bad. its just in a smaller room, the 8s improved my mixes tremendously. its way easier to get a better sound with the 8s. more frequencies supported response-wise. id say it would probably be the same thing with any brand comparing their 5inch and 8inch monitors.