Anyone got any obscure prog metal recommendations?

zedowns

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So I feel the genres really starting to stagnate lately, and didn't enjoy much of anything last year outside of Mystica and Suspyre.

Anyone have any obscure but must hear prog metal discs to recommend me? Check my last.fm and RYM for what I'm into, I'm looking for older stuff that really flew under the radar like Payne's Gray, Clockwork, Dali's Dilemma, etc... descriptions of the band would be much appreciated! :kickass:

Thanks bros!

A handful that come to mind:

Atmosfear - Inside the Atmosphere
Vauxdvihl - To Dimension Logic
Sanvoisen - Soul Seasons
Siam - Prayer

Obscure? The hype on that one was off the chart (relatively speaking).

Perhaps. I only saw it hyped on one board, and that has about 5 active people on it?

I didn't see it hyped on other progmetal boards I frequent (maybe it was here, and I didn't notice).

But yeah.. its probably something he's already heard of.

I kinda liked "Time Must Have A Stop" by VoTuM. Don't know if its really something you would enjoy though...

(and the new Gojira album is outstanding!)

Try these: DAEDALUS, ORENDA, SYMPHONY, TOMORROW'S EVE, FARTHERPAINT, ASHENT, PATHOSRAY, IMPLOSION, OBLIQUE RAIN, DIVISION BY ZERO, ATHEM, ICE AGE (miss these guys!), PANTOMMIND, ATLANTIDA, HOURGLASS....start googling those!

My best recommendation will be Manigance (Fr). If you don't mind singing in French this band delivers a great progressive power metal (hell they SHOULD be at PPX)

Some other bands may appeal to you are:

Twinspirits
Darkwater
Scale the Summit
Tetrafusion
Arabesque

and I suppose you are already acquainted with Liquid Tension Experiment, Spastic Ink, Planet X

Clockwheel
Crimfall
Isole
Scale the Summit
Autum
Aetherius

Crimfall isn't really prog metal. Neither is Isole. But I'm really enjoying both bands' recent album.

I heard Scale the Summit's new album today. Good stuff.

How is Autum? What are they like?

I don't know if this would be obscure, but PA-Based Mastermind (with Jens Johannsson) has some real sick stuff. Also, if you want to get a bit exotic, Fuseboxx from the Philippines is a good bet. Picture Tori Amos fronting Circus Maximus, and you get Fuseboxx.

I wouldn't call them prog but I definitely would recommend them cuz they kick much ass!!!

Think Alice in Chains meets Flotsam & Jetsam meets Spastik Ink :headbang:

Bear

Good comparison Bear!!

Too bad the first CD is SO hard to find :(

Try Scariot,

Scariot was a side project of former Satyricon, and current Blood Red Throne guitarist Daniel Olaisen. They have 4 albums. The first album has a more "power metal" influence, and they get more progressive with each release.
It's for fans of Nevermore/Manticora.

I dig em', and Daniel is a freaking way cool guy!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=99191364

Good suggestion!! Daniel is a stand up guy like you said. I'm still in his top friends and I haven't talked to him in a while.....LOL! You didn't mention that "Momentum Shift" has Oyvind and Asgeir from Spiral Architect as well as Steve DiGiorgio. It's the closest thing you'll find to Spiral Architect :headbang:

Check out Harmony and Degree Absolute as well.

I have other suggestions but my mind is blank at the moment....

Appearance of Nothing (one of my top 10 of '08)
Behind the Curtain
Crises
Divided Multitude
Ethereal Architect (in my top 10 for '07, l really like them)
Fragile Vastness
Ghost Circus (in my top 10 for '08)
Innerchaos
Lydian Sea
Liquid Horizon
Mind Masque
Progressivexperience (the new release kicks ass!)
Sacrum (in my top 10 for '08)
Souljourners (in my top 10 for '08)
Sandstone
Stramonio
Soulcage
Time's Forgotten

Just to name a few...l like Payne's Gray, Clockwork, Dali's Dilemma too if that's any indication...get ta searchin' !