anyone got experience with Clearsonic booths?!?

gemini8026

always a n00b
Aug 15, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
www.jeffwizniak.com
Hi all. Tried doing a search, but there wasnt much for results.

Im considering one of these for my new condo... It's a concrete building, so I dont need 100% isolation, but something so that I can track my hard rock vocals which can get quite loud...

http://www.clearsonic.com/IsoPacG.htm

Now, thats not a 100% booth for isolation, but it's a decent price considering what a TRUE booth actually costs.

Im just curious if that's a waste of money or if theres a better option. DIY isnt an option as im not much of a handyman, and I have a nice condo that I dont want some ugly contraption in. My little studio is in the bedroom..

Anyhow, what you all think, for 1000$ is it crap, or is there any other option under 1500$ that could work for me?

Yeah short of DIY, that is probably the best you are going to be able to do.

I was a little taken back by how much the more "real" iso booths were. It is probably fine for your own personal recordings. I would probably still try to just use absorption behind the mic and see how it does.

I currently do that with gobos in my control room and it is fine. But I don't know what my neighbors hear. But just having that absorption does reduce transmission somewhat. Maybe enough to keep from passing through the concrete. Also many new condos and apartments are using materials and construction techniques to reduce sound transmission. So you might be fine already. I would try without first and maybe talk to your neighbors.

Another option besides DIY, since you said you aren't a craftsman, is to have someone build one for you:

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/portable_sound_control_room.htm

http://www.dawbox.com/DAWBOOTH.htm

The first link would be pretty darn dirt cheap. The second range from $400 to $1000 in material costs. Someone good with tools should be able to knock these out in a day or so. Look for local handymen or part time cabinet builders or carpenters, or just call around and see if you can find someone to do it. Worth getting a quote at least. Then you could end up with something a LOT nicer for potentially $1500.

anyone got experience with Clearsonic booths?!?

Im considering one of these for my new condo... It's a concrete building, so I dont need 100% isolation, but something so that I can track my hard rock vocals which can get quite loud...

Now, thats not a 100% booth for isolation, but it's a decent price considering what a TRUE booth actually costs.

Im just curious if that's a waste of money or if theres a better option.

Anyhow, what you all think, for 1000$ is it crap, or is there any other option under 1500$ that could work for me?

Those clearsonic booths are awful with the plexi glass resulting in comb filtering and other acoustic problems. These are absolutely horrid.

My engineer for my company Acoustics Wizard here in Canada is in the process of designing a solution for people like you who struggle with finding something suitable, efficient, economical but which also sounds good. It will cost from $300-600 depending on the model. I will put them on ebay as well with fully insured shipping as soon as they are available, but for now, if you want me to send you more info just find me on Kijiji Toronto for my acoustics ad (easy to find) and reply to my it so I can tell you more details via email.

Acoustics Wizard

Every broadway tour in the country uses clearsonics for pit musicians so take that for what it's worth. They are a compromise. If I couldn't build, personally I would buy some realtrap gobos but it wouldn't give you much reduction.

is isolation a problem? or are you looking for better results? if your only looking for improved recordings they make reflection shields that go around mics that kill alot of those reflections that can mess with your vocals. I know a few people on here are using them and there only around $100.