anyone have experience with this bass?

colonel kurtz

Sep 7, 2006
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-Bass?sku=517942

230457.jpg

i've been eyeing one of these bitches for a while...but of course the local music shops that carry ibanez don't have the SR500/505, so i was wondering if any of you guys have owned/played one of these before

Yes sir. I usually play that when I try out different bass heads at GC. The 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck almost gives it a slight warwick kind of tone (If you know what I mean). The bartolini's are rich and punch pretty hard for the lower end pickups of that brand. The neck and body feels really interesting. It's polyurethane finish is smooth but you can feel the grain or ridges of the wood and it also looks a lot darker in person (almost maroon). Keep in mind, if you were planning to replace the pickups, most Ibanez basses usually fit the bartolini style and size pickup so it's hard as hell to find the right size replacement. I'd say for the price, it's a fuckin wicked bass. Actually has a lot more J-Lo bottom end than most Ibanez's that have been in this house. Check this guy out on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/entheogenesis) he's a wicked awesome bass player who tears that shit up. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions on it, I'll be more than happy to help you out or go to GC and check out anything for ya. Take it easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 4 string version, Ive played the 5, nice easy playing bass but unless you have an old nasty svt dont expect grind out of the pickups

Keep in mind, if you were planning to replace the pickups, most Ibanez basses usually fit the bartolini style and size pickup so it's hard as hell to find the right size replacement.

i was actually hoping that the bartolini's would sound good enough that the pickups wouldn't need replaced

unless you have an old nasty svt dont expect grind out of the pickups

now see, that's the sort of statement that worries me...i love dirty, nasty, bass tone, and the cheap POS i have right now just doesn't cut it, and i was hoping the SR500/505 would fill that void

i might just have to make a trip over to GC to check one out when i get the $$ together...and then of course score one off ebay or something for way cheaper

I have the 4 string version, Ive played the 5, nice easy playing bass but unless you have an old nasty svt dont expect grind out of the pickups

SVT ftw bro, but those are pretty hot pickups and if he has a brutal head/amp, I'd think he's good to go. BUT you're opinion of the bass will be taken more seriously, because you own that sucka :kickass:

Barts aren't the most aggressive pups but IMO it is the wood combo that will limit your ability to get that "grind." I love mahogany but w/o a top it will be on the dark side -- fantastic lows though.

I think we are sort of talking about 2 different things. A bass with good grind will have a really sharp pick attack and an aggressive sound through a completely clean signal chain. Obviously various distortions will enhance this but if it isn't there from the start you'll likely end up getting frustrated just like you would trying to EQ old strings to sound like new ones.

That has been my experience at least. FWIW my main bass is mahogany with a maple top and barts. My ash basses with barts both sound a lot more aggressive without any help.

for the record, whatever bass i get will be for studio use only, and will be almost exclusively DI'd, unless a band comes in with an amp they want to use, or if i want to reamp something through my rev jr.(which BTW is pretty fun for dirtying up bass tracks)

and egan's nailing the exact reason i'm looking at a new bass - the cheap POS i have now just has really shitty attack and sustain, and no amount of signal processing after the fact gives me the results i want

for the record, whatever bass i get will be for studio use only, and will be almost exclusively DI'd, unless a band comes in with an amp they want to use, or if i want to reamp something through my rev jr.(which BTW is pretty fun for dirtying up bass tracks)

and egan's nailing the exact reason i'm looking at a new bass - the cheap POS i have now just has really shitty attack and sustain, and no amount of signal processing after the fact gives me the results i want

i think they sound fucking great... i'll post up a Di track for you tonight after work if you're interested (i have a custom bass based on this model, same pickups wood etc)... you can reamp it or do whatever it is you do to your di tracks...

Fender Jazz, FTW-4-EVER.

I got the SR505 and am totally happy with it... tracking stuff for my band's album with it right now, I`m curious how it will turn out in the mix. The playability is top notch IMO, so far I haven't found a bass that I could play better on.

Fender Jazz, FTW-4-EVER.

man, i used to have a standard jazz bass that i loved - then i sold it to my wife's uncle like a fucking idiot

i considered getting another one, but i really want something with less of an old-school style to it

man, i used to have a standard jazz bass that i loved - then i sold it to my wife's uncle like a fucking idiot
i considered getting another one, but i really want something with less of an old-school style to it
Given that knowledge I would save up and get a lakland skyline or look for one used. I picked this up for $550 used:
skyline.jpg