Anyone hear heard Ulver's "Themes from William Blake's..."?

Another question about Ulver:

I have Lyckantropen, and though I like some minimalistic music, I didn't really like that album. Does the band have a considerably different sound from album to album? I have seen them listed in many different genres, from folk to black metal to post-rock.

I like a lot of the faces of Ulver, but for some reason I just love "Bergtatt," their first album. It's black metal...with eerie, monastic drone-chant vocals. Beautiful.

Perdition City sounds more up your alley, Ten Thousand and One.

I ordered "William Blake" a few days ago from the End. Should be here soon!

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
yeah, William Blake's is worth purchasing. and Lycantropen is very minimalist but Perd.City isn't, and they also have 2 black metal and one folk album.

They actually have 3 bm albums. I guess you don't know about their first album(which was a split with Immortal) "Vargnatt"

I ordered Perdition City from theendrecords.com on Monday, along with Amorphis' Am Universum. They should be in the mailbox when I get home from work today. Also, I noticed that they just re-stocked all the Opeth cd's that they were out of last week.

Originally posted by I am Ten Thousand and One
Another question about Ulver:

Does the band have a considerably different sound from album to album? I have seen them listed in many different genres, from folk to black metal to post-rock.

Uhhhh......hell yes. They are like chameleons(sp?). 'Themes..' is great as is 'Perdition City'. Hell, I like them all except 'Madrigal of Night'.

It's one of my favorite albums of all time! Themes... that is... It was my first dive into electronicish music, but I was totally blown away by it. There are some heavy guitars, mixed with electronics and acoustic work. The vocal sections are just chilling (check out the Argument, track 1!), and Stine Grytors vocals are pssibly the most beautiful female vocals I've ever heard. It's one of those albums that may seem like a lot to digest, but I think it should be experienced as a whole, not in parts. Highly recommended for the open minded!

Bergtatt - Atmospheric, non-violent black metal with some clean chanting and beautiful acoustic passages.

Nattens Madrigal - Hyperviolent black metal with the occasional acoustic passage. Insanely raw and treble-y recording.

Kveldssanger - Folky Norwegian woodland music with some strings.

Themes From William Blake... - Bizarre eclectic mix of industrial, metal, spoken word, and ambient flourishes.

Perdition City - Dark trip-hop with some minor industrial influences, and even a little jazz thrown in.

Lycantropen - Minimalist ambient work. Decent, but if you like this kind of thing there are people who pull it off much better than Ulver.

They have other releases, but I don't know them well enough to comment.

Ulver has two new albums on the way that should be great. Another soundtrack, to a movie called Svidd Neger (burnt negro :lol: ), and a new "real" album called Utopian Enterprises. Those are gonna rule.

Originally posted by Lion in a Cage
They actually have 3 bm albums. I guess you don't know about their first album(which was a split with Immortal) "Vargnatt"

Well, this split CD is a bootleg containing their old promotape "Vargnatt". This bootleg isn´t that good, the sound quality is even worse than the sound on the original tape. The tracklist confused 2 songtitles and missed one track (bootleg has 5 songs but the promo has 6 -> the last song "Vargnatt" is missing).

The best thing about the bootleg is the backcover, which is exactly designed in the same way like Bergtatt, Kveldssanger and Nattens Madrigal (so it fits into the collection very well).