I need Ulver recomendations

Insidious Tangerine

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2004
Mongolia
Today I downloaded" Themes from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell" and I liked it quite a bit. I also have bergtatt and I think that's pretty cool too. I'd like to get into this band, so what would be a good album to get (I've heard Perdition city is good)?

Thanks.

i;ve only got Bergtatt, which i like except for the one "black metal" part of it, which sounds like shit beating the shit out of more shit >_<. I also woudln't mind knowing which albums ppl like hte most. I've heard their newer albums are really electronic, which sounds pretty interesting and i i wouldn't mind giving their new albums ago...and recomendations there?

Cheers, CHris

Rumors say that the band got money from the record company to record the cd in
the woods with the help of gasoline driven generators but that they bought beer
for all the money and recorded the music on a 2-channel tape recorder instead for the "nattens madrigal" album.

I was summoned over here by a friend due to my obsession/knowledge of Ulver.

Let me explain a few things, first off about the albums, they are all different. Each album encompasses a different quality, from black metal, to folk, to industrial, to electronica, to rock, to metal, to jazz, to experimental, to ambient, etc. Nearly all of there albums contain multiple elements fused flawlessly together. I'd say a great album to start with is the new one, blood inside. It is pretty straightforward and mixes tons of various aspects of Ulver. Perdition City is another good album; you should probably focus on these two first, and then dabble into the rest of their discography. Not sure if you will dig the black/forest metal Ulver, but I'd recommend giving it a try, don't let the raw production turn you off. Enjoy

InterStellar said:
I'd go with Perdition City too..
i like the avatar you stole from me that i stole from an artist on deviantart :)

original credits for the autumn tree: raun from deviantart.com

my current avatar is my own photo. :)

anyways: Perdition City is an amazing piece of music that glimpses what form music may take in the future, and in its electronic ambience you can lose yourself in a dream world.

Kveldssanger is a great folk/acoustic norse kind of album, really soft and close, like listening to friends sing and play guitar by firelight.

Bergtatt is a good black metal disc.

Blood Inside is like a combination of everything they've done so far.

I've been told the rumors about how they screwed over CM when recording Nattens are bullshit...Bergtatt, Blood Inside, and Perdition City are excellent, the latter may be tough going because of its abstractions but as the above post mentions, its atmosphere is unique and cannot be accurately described in words...