Anyone heard Scott Walker's The Drift?

Yes i have heard it, it is not easy listening. If you can stick it out and enjoy it then congratulations. Watershed is nothing like it.

The riff on The Lotus Eater right before the fusion-keyboard section is ripped pretty much right off from the first riff of Cossacks Are...

Yeah, I've got it, and I've listened to it as much as I can. It's a very oppressive album, and very unconventional. I haven't given it the time it (probably) deserves yet; I'm sure it would grow on me if I did. I have a lot of admiration for the atmosphere he created on it - very, very dark.

Yes, phenomenal album. I've personally never heard anything like it. Definitely one of the darkest albums I've ever heard; absolutely devastating. If you decide to get it, DO NOT listen to it in your car. In a car the noise floor is usually 75dB or more and you won't be able to hear everything going on, because half of the effect of the album is derived from the extremely unsettling stuff going on in the background. Get a good pair of headphones and a dark room and this album can be a near hallucinogenic experience.

I fell asleep while listening to The Drift, and was RUDELY WOKEN UP by a fuckin donkey on track 4.

But anyway, get the lyrics. That is the only way you can enjoy it.

Vivören;7319041 said:
Apparently Mike's goal with Watershed was to make a metal version of The Drift.

Has anyone here heard it? Is it worth getting?

The Drift is the scariest album i ever herd just to point out it WAS THE FUCKING SCARIEST ALBUM I HERD and yeah that donkey or horse noise that you hear that it sounds like its dying is fucking creepy. My advice is for you to Buy the album and sit in a dark room with the windows shut and only pure darkness and if possible light up the fireplace lol for a good effect haha

it's a very amazing, but haunting album. definitely pick it up and listen in a dark room with a good set of headphones for the effect that SW was going for.

Put headphones on, turn it up and turn off the lights. That's the best way to listen to it.

Crepuscularia said:
Get a good pair of headphones and a dark room

Bugger. That'll show me for not reading the thread before I post.

NicohlasDWolfwood said:
definitely pick it up and listen in a dark room with a good set of headphones for the effect that SW was going for.

Shit, that's twice now. Oh well, take this as a sign that you should definitely do as we've recommended.

Great album. Scared the living shit out of me when I first heard it, but I loved every fucking second of it.

The riff on The Lotus Eater right before the fusion-keyboard section is ripped pretty much right off from the first riff of Cossacks Are...

Indeed. Pretty obvious influence there.

"The Drift" is a truly unconventional album, and it contains some of the darkest music I've ever heard. Not easy listening.

Tilt and The Drift are certainly more mandatory than 1-4, I've been playing 1-4 a lot recently, so I got a little over excited at SW talk. I personally love 1-4, but I would say his best would definitely be The Drift, followed closely by Tilt.