Anyone here use a USB 2.0 interface in a professional or SERIOUS amateur setup?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
If so, what interface are you using and what are your thoughts?

My laptop is beginning to see it's last days I think, and most current laptops these days don't offer expresscard slots unless you pay some serious money. If/when I get a new machine, I'd like to be a laptop and still offer the same level (hopefully better) of performance I see now with my current laptop and firewire interface.

60+ tracks and 60+ plugins running (including VST amp sims and VST synth/drums programs) in Cubase 5.5 or 6 without freezing tracks would be ideal.

Would a quad core laptop processor and a USB 2.0 interface be able to easily hit that benchmark?

Slightly on/off topic here, but are all USB interfaces noisy? I noticed after getting a ProFire 2626 that my Fast Track Pro is realllly noisy. And the ProFire just seemed like a much cleaner signal.

Either the RME babyface or fireface ufx which has a usb 2.0 port on it could. And yeah a quad core laptop should be able to handle that if you put 6-8 gb's of ram in it even 4 would do the job good

The interface doesn't do any ITB computing, that's all up to your computer's specs

Obviously, but how quick the data and move between the units and be processed will/can differ based on the specs of the interface as well as the specs of the computer.

What I *think* I know about USB vs. FW is that FW is more like an open stream or connection between the interface and the computer whereas USB sends/receive bursts of data, i.e. not an open stream. How big the data packet or burst is and how quickly it can be processed is the factor here in terms of USB since the open back and forth like FW is non existent. For USB 2.0, the back and forth is quicker with the data packets larger (I think), so my goal/hope is IF I move from a slower computer (core 2 duo T5200) with a firewire interface, will a new quad core intel using a USB 2.0 interface be at least as good (hopefully MUCH better) in big sessions with high track counts and plenty of VST sims/synths, etc. My only experience now has been with my C2D computer and USB 1.1, which was VERY VERY bad compared to firewire.

FWIW I put some stock in the fact the RME left FW800 for USB for their flagship UFX (I realize it has FW400 but that's not what they're stressing).

Same here. That does say something. All the same, I'll probably stick with Firewire until Thunderbolt becomes more widely available, probably long past then. My FireFace 800 is still rocking after many years and lots of usage.

But I can't afford an RME piece. One of the downers about sourcing a laptop with an expresscard slot is that they are few and far between around here and generally quite a bit more expensive, or lack features. The only laptops with quad core processors and card slots are minimum 1500 bucks, while usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports are readily available on quad core machines for less than 800 in some places. Just planning ahead to try and get the best I can afford while still retaining the ability to hit high tracks counts, and have an interface that is nice for the price.

I'm a noob when it comes to USB interfaces. In terms of converter and preamp quality and all that, USB rarely gets talked about.

Cant believe I am saying this but .... Buy a Mac....

PC laptops make SHIT DAW's, lack of features and options are the isse, CPU Scaling anod other factors suck as well. Just get a Desktop.

#1 Its Upgradeable
#2 Its Portable (towers arent all THAT big)

In addition no "SERIOUS" studio uses a Laptop as its main DAW. They all use desktop PC's or Full size Mac's

Cant believe I am saying this but .... Buy a Mac....

PC laptops make SHIT DAW's, lack of features and options are the isse, CPU Scaling anod other factors suck as well. Just get a Desktop.

#1 Its Upgradeable
#2 Its Portable (towers arent all THAT big)

In addition no "SERIOUS" studio uses a Laptop as its main DAW. They all use desktop PC's or Full size Mac's

I was waiting for that.

I mainly worded it that way because I work with high track counts and lots of plugins, more so than what people around me do (using similar or often "better" setups), so I am trying to get opinions from those running big sessions, which seems to fall more on the "pro" side of things.

Mac is just absolutely out of the question at this point in time.

Why if you are going to blow $1500 on a PC and not get the specs you want just find a used Mac Book or Mac Book Pro, they run the same price on the used market. If mac is 100% out of the question then go with a desktop setup, it will save you money.

Going with a desktop will certainly save money. I built my desktop in the beginning of '09 and it cost me a little under 1K, now it'd probably be around 500 bones or less. I'm also sticking with firewire, USB 2/3 and PCI/PCI-E until they start building thunderbolt audio interfaces. USB 2 certainly isn't bad, but as kev said, it typically has grounding issues.

Slightly on/off topic here, but are all USB interfaces noisy? I noticed after getting a ProFire 2626 that my Fast Track Pro is realllly noisy. And the ProFire just seemed like a much cleaner signal.

if it is bus powered usb I have noticed they have a tendency to be noisy as hell

If so, what interface are you using and what are your thoughts?

My laptop is beginning to see it's last days I think, and most current laptops these days don't offer expresscard slots unless you pay some serious money. If/when I get a new machine, I'd like to be a laptop and still offer the same level (hopefully better) of performance I see now with my current laptop and firewire interface.

60+ tracks and 60+ plugins running (including VST amp sims and VST synth/drums programs) in Cubase 5.5 or 6 without freezing tracks would be ideal.

Would a quad core laptop processor and a USB 2.0 interface be able to easily hit that benchmark?
NO, if were talking "professional", just get a PC desktop, or a mac.

about the bus powered USB being noisy, there's a way around this problem if youre using a laptop, just record using the batteries (charger unplugged). Given that youre deadset on using a USB2 interface on a laptop, there's not a lot of issues EXCEPT for the 60+plugins and cubase part :zzz: I could be wrong though as my laptop isnt actually "up to standards"