Anyone here using a Windows notebook to track/mix?

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
Anyone? What CPU? Does it runs smooth with lots of real time plugins or do you need to freeze stuff?

I´m looking for a performance similar to my desktop PC (Intel Core2Quad Q6600), where I can throw how many instances of whatever plugin I want without ever running out of CPU power. Any notebook CPU recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

I run a 3.5 year old HP DV9235 lappy. Core 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz x 2) with 3GB RAM running Win7 64 bit and Cubase 5.5. I can run fairly decent sized projects (35-55 tracks) with 30+ to 40+ plugins OK.

I notice lately I've had an issue with cracks and pops even when my usage meter is sitting at 60-75%, but I don't know if it's Win7 to blame, the fact I moved to 64 bit or the Cubase 5.5 update...I am currently mixing my first ever project on both Cubase and Win7 64bit...Part of me wants to think it's Windows, but the issue did seem to get a little worse with the upgrade to Cubase 5.5. The biggest issue is running any type of amp sim, that's usually when it will start acting funny. So, just today I started freezing the bass tracks (running sims) and the problem went away.

The biggest issue to me in laptops these days is that both integrated firewire (which can be a hassle itself for recording) and expresss card slots seem to be harder and harder to find on low to mid priced laptops. The cheapest laptop I've seen with an i7 720, 6GB RAM and an express card slot is around 1K. Sony makes a Vaio that fits the bill right now and I think it is around 1200. Toshiba and HP also have some models that are similarly spec'd for around the 1K mark.

I run a 3.5 year old HP DV9235 lappy. Core 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz x 2) with 3GB RAM running Win7 64 bit and Cubase 5.5. I can run fairly decent sized projects (35-55 tracks) with 30+ to 40+ plugins OK.

I notice lately I've had an issue with cracks and pops even when my usage meter is sitting at 60-75%, but I don't know if it's Win7 to blame, the fact I moved to 64 bit or the Cubase 5.5 update...I am currently mixing my first ever project on both Cubase and Win7 64bit...Part of me wants to think it's Windows, but the issue did seem to get a little worse with the upgrade to Cubase 5.5. The biggest issue is running any type of amp sim, that's usually when it will start acting funny. So, just today I started freezing the bass tracks (running sims) and the problem went away.

The biggest issue to me in laptops these days is that both integrated firewire (which can be a hassle itself for recording) and expresss card slots seem to be harder and harder to find on low to mid priced laptops. The cheapest laptop I've seen with an i7 720, 6GB RAM and an express card slot is around 1K. Sony makes a Vaio that fits the bill right now and I think it is around 1200. Toshiba and HP also have some models that are similarly spec'd for around the 1K mark.

I´m going to use an USB interface (Line6 UX2), so the integrated firewire isn´t a must.

On my desktop I usually run something like 20 tracks, 10 stereo instances of POD Farm 2, 6 compressors, Steven Slate Drums (Kontakt) and other minor plugins (EQ, delay, clipper, etc). As I´ve said, my desktop Q6600 handles it perfectly, and I would like to know which notebook CPU has this level of performance.

I don´t know much about this new family of CPUs (i3, i5, i7, etc) and I´m having a hard time finding how these, on notebook version, ranks against a desktop version of Q6600. The benchmarks that I´ve found are always desktop vs desktop or notebook vs notebook, and I´m not sure if the notebook ones can handle the job like my desktop Q6600 does. Any of you guys using an i3, i5 or i7 notebook for audio?

AMD vs Intel, can anyone give advice? Generaly, laptops with AMD cpus are a bit cheaper with the same options as the Intel So any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I used my Laptop (hp, amd dual core 1,8 ghz,2Gb ram) for a long time but now it is getting to old. Problems with Cpu (gets much to hot, ~90° C) and other stuff.
I am gasing for a new one because i do alot of mobile recording and it is much easier to take a notebook with you.
I mix my stuff on a tower pc, need more power.

So no one using i3, i5 or i7 notebooks to chime in on this thread?

Got an i3 like two weeks back, but found it it has no pci slot or firewire capabilities so I can't use my firewire interface :erk:

I'll chime in when I either find a way to use my firewire interface with this laptop, or get a USB interface

I can HIGHLY recommend Lenovo IBM lappys, I own an older model, in my case just for tracking, so I've saved a little bit money on CPU and Rams but this thing runs like a rock.
Flawless, never crushed and with a FW port, so I can use my FF without problems.

I'm using a 3 year+ old Dell Inspiron Laptop 1.6Ghz Intel Duo Core 2Gb RAM (though i've activated memory Paging which allows it to use the HD for extra RAM, Windows XP, PT LE 7.4

I use mainly for recording guitar/bass/vocals (drums i get from elsewhere) then mixing

Gonna have to upgrade at some point soon as i've only got the small firewire 1394 connection

Got an i3 like two weeks back, but found it it has no pci slot or firewire capabilities so I can't use my firewire interface :erk:

I'll chime in when I either find a way to use my firewire interface with this laptop, or get a USB interface

Thanks! Looking foward to this. I´m specially concerned about how it handles lots of heavy plugins instances in realtime, because I mix everything ITB, with MIDI and DI.

I´ve seen benchmarks showing that the desktop version of the i3 is slightly better than the Core2Quad Q6600. I just can´t find anywhere how the mobile versions of i3 or i5 ranks against their desktop counterparts to make my decision!

I have a Toshiba Satellite i3 Win 7 64-bit with 4 gigs of RAM. Only 5400 RPM drive though so I track to an eSATA drive. I don't do a lot of sample work on it, since it is mainly for remote tracking and simple demoing. Grabbed a PCMCIA-express TI Firewire card. I can get 24 channels simultaneous, no problem.

CPU speed and RAM wise it is fine, some ways better than my desktop Quad Core AMD Phenom 9550.

The 5400 RPM drive is a bit of a killer. I need to upgrade, but not willing to rebuild, but the 5400 works fine. But buying new, get a 7200RPM drive.

The real @#$@#er with it though to be honest is the damn screen resolution. I got the bigger 17" screen and the damn thing only does 1366x968 or some shit. That isn't even 1280x1024 that my 5 year old 17" monitors can handle. WTF!! I tell you, Cubase, Pro Tools, all suck balls at that resolution. I deal for straight tracking, basic editing. But definitely count out any MIDI or high track counts or anything based on the tiny ass resolution.

The video card can handle it, since an external I can max out 1900x1200 no problem.

The screens on most laptops these days suck! My old laptop.. I mean Pentium M 1.2Ghz 15" can do 1600x1200. It really pisses me off, and the Toshiba was't cheap, it was in the $750 sort of range. Didn't dawn on me, it said high-def uber fancy monitor and I went for it and now I get pissed off every time I use it. Yeah things are clear and movies look great, but even surfing the web for me is damn tight at that 1366x968. And I am carrying around a huge-ass 17" laptop around... grrr...

So.... when shopping look for a high resolution screen. I tell you though, I have been looking and you pretty much have to get out of the "home grade" laptops and into the professional ones, which mean extra $$$. Not a lot more but you will break the $1k mark... at least based on my shopping.

got myself an HP Pavilion with i5 core 3 weeks ago. awesome. but I do have problems with win7 and my line 6 ux2. I had these with my desktop computer, too. it just stops to work from time to time. Seems to be a bad driver or something but it could be my unit though.

I have a Toshiba Satellite i3 Win 7 64-bit with 4 gigs of RAM. Only 5400 RPM drive though so I track to an eSATA drive. I don't do a lot of sample work on it, since it is mainly for remote tracking and simple demoing. Grabbed a PCMCIA-express TI Firewire card. I can get 24 channels simultaneous, no problem.

CPU speed and RAM wise it is fine, some ways better than my desktop Quad Core AMD Phenom 9550.

The 5400 RPM drive is a bit of a killer. I need to upgrade, but not willing to rebuild, but the 5400 works fine. But buying new, get a 7200RPM drive.

The real @#$@#er with it though to be honest is the damn screen resolution. I got the bigger 17" screen and the damn thing only does 1366x968 or some shit. That isn't even 1280x1024 that my 5 year old 17" monitors can handle. WTF!! I tell you, Cubase, Pro Tools, all suck balls at that resolution. I deal for straight tracking, basic editing. But definitely count out any MIDI or high track counts or anything based on the tiny ass resolution.

The video card can handle it, since an external I can max out 1900x1200 no problem.

The screens on most laptops these days suck! My old laptop.. I mean Pentium M 1.2Ghz 15" can do 1600x1200. It really pisses me off, and the Toshiba was't cheap, it was in the $750 sort of range. Didn't dawn on me, it said high-def uber fancy monitor and I went for it and now I get pissed off every time I use it. Yeah things are clear and movies look great, but even surfing the web for me is damn tight at that 1366x968. And I am carrying around a huge-ass 17" laptop around... grrr...

So.... when shopping look for a high resolution screen. I tell you though, I have been looking and you pretty much have to get out of the "home grade" laptops and into the professional ones, which mean extra $$$. Not a lot more but you will break the $1k mark... at least based on my shopping.

Thanks for the tips! I totally understand your problems with the resolution. I plan on pluggin it on my Samsung 22" 1650 x 1050 when mixing.

The main purpose of this notebook is to track bands on any place using my own system, daw and plugins, and then mix it in my bedroom using my decent video and audio monitors. I don´t want to let people that I barely know (the bands) come into my house for tracking, you know. I could settle for a cheap notebook just to track DIs and vocals, but then I would have to keep exchanging the projects between my desktop pc and the notebook, and that would be a pain in the ass. Besides, I always wanted a system only for audio.

got myself an HP Pavilion with i5 core 3 weeks ago. awesome. but I do have problems with win7 and my line 6 ux2. I had these with my desktop computer, too. it just stops to work from time to time. Seems to be a bad driver or something but it could be my unit though.

Are you using multiple instances of POD Farm on it? How is it handling the CPU intensive plugins? Have you ever needed to freeze stuff, lower the latency or got cracks and pops?