Windows 7 rant

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
after hearing lots of great things about windows 7 i'm thinking about jumping ship, too.

now, the thing is, i have to PCs: one notebook (currently running linux/sidux), and my audio desktop pc running XP sp2.
according to microsoft, you have to buy a SEPERATE copy for each of your machines.
wtf???????

i mean, obviously if i buy software of some sort i'll get a new version every time i install it on a new machine....same goes for cd's, of course i buy one for my car, one for the home stereo, one for the studio.....etc.

it's stuff like that that keeps me from jumping ship despite all the praise talk. i just don't get it.

tbh i'd be willing to get ONE, primarily for my audio pc i guess, but then again i hate the thought of getting a new OS without getting some experience beforehand, i.e. on my notebook....and i'm not willing to take the chance of running into a vista-like buggy resource hog, especially if the whole thing runs smooth as fuck on XP.

sorry, just had to vent. MS price policy = assrape

If XP does everything you need stick with it. If you need 64-bit and real multi-core scheduling you should move to Win7 otherwise XP is still a great platform. You can install Win7 without entering a key and use it for 30 days before it requires activation. Find someone with an install disk, try it and if you like it, buy a license.

Seriously, do you american / european guys really buy two copies for two computers? I mean...i have a free license i got from a partnership the college i study on made with microsoft, but i'd never buy two copies. It is just not how it works in the third world countries.

after hearing lots of great things about windows 7 i'm thinking about jumping ship, too.

now, the thing is, i have to PCs: one notebook (currently running linux/sidux), and my audio desktop pc running XP sp2.
according to microsoft, you have to buy a SEPERATE copy for each of your machines.
wtf???????

i mean, obviously if i buy software of some sort i'll get a new version every time i install it on a new machine....same goes for cd's, of course i buy one for my car, one for the home stereo, one for the studio.....etc.

it's stuff like that that keeps me from jumping ship despite all the praise talk. i just don't get it.

tbh i'd be willing to get ONE, primarily for my audio pc i guess, but then again i hate the thought of getting a new OS without getting some experience beforehand, i.e. on my notebook....and i'm not willing to take the chance of running into a vista-like buggy resource hog, especially if the whole thing runs smooth as fuck on XP.

sorry, just had to vent. MS price policy = assrape

Chill out, man! :)

Whenever I'm installing my copy (that I got free via MSDNAA) on my different computers and it bitches about the license at activation I just call up their free support line and they ALWAYS got me a new activation code without ever complaining.

Been doing that since XP, keeping it legit.

Seriously, do you american / european guys really buy two copies for two computers? I mean...i have a free license i got from a partnership the college i study on made with microsoft, but i'd never buy two copies. It is just not how it works in the third world countries.

Yes I do.

It's not like it's a plugin or something - it's the main piece of software on your PC/MAC be is Windows or MAC OS, it's the thing that allows you to run every other piece of software you put on it. Without it your hardware is just a pile of chips and wire. It's sold as an individual item because each PC/MAC require one copy. Even your DAW software and most plugin software have a bit of detail in your EULA (end user license agreement) where you agree to only use it one at a time (if you have it on two PC's you are only suppose to be running once instance at a time.) Operating System manufacturer's simply require you to have a license per seat as they call it. If you don't like it stick with Linux and go all open source software. just the hard facts of life.

They do sell multi-license versions at a discount if it's that big of an issue.

You don't HAVE to but a new copy for each computer, you can activate multiple machines on one code, it violates MS policy but once the activation takes place they have no way of knowing.

You HAVE to, but you CAN live without it. Not the same :)

Last time I checked it is possible to have more than one machine running on the same activation code if you do it right.

Possible...Yes
MS Policy...Nope :p

really comes down to moral as to whether you want to violate such policies.