byebye vista!

Oooh how i'd love to bestow the users on my network with ubuntu. It just wouldnt work though. I have terrible issues with people + microsoft even, and I mean terrible. I dont know how they would cope with sudo wget. Im quite sure suicide would be a welcome perk instead of a bonus in my pay packet if they had linux to use :p

well, my notebook is running a intel core 2 duo 1,66ghz and 2gb ram. while nothing out of the ordinary, i think it should be more than sufficient for the tasks i described.

but it's not, as vista needs about 2 GB ram to run (plus extra performance for other applications),
as you wrote already beneath.

tbh i just don't think that an OS should need that much system power.
to me, an OS is supposed to provide a user friendly platform and allow the user to run the programs he wants. you don't need 2gb of ram (or 1 for that matter) to do that.

dude 2GB is NOTHING nowadays!
your statement is right but alittle bit late, 10 years ago it would be right ;)

just proves the fact that vista is full of unnecessary bullshit that doesn't make any sense but slows the whole thing down.

it IS full of shit because it wants to be user friendly and give everyone he wants. that's the wrong way IMHO, MS should make windows versions for kids, old people and people who want to work seriously with this OS.

on the other hand, there is so much unecessary stuff you can DISABLE in windows, you just need to know how.

you won't get a fully optimised system no matter if you go for windows,
osx, ubuntu or whatever else.

think about it, you could probably run linux on a 486 if you wanted, and i've yet to encounter a situation where i would need a feature-laden OS to master it.

yeah you can, as you can with windows 7 but you won't be able to work that way.

another prime example of the windows idiocy is the stupid findfast.exe thing. it's supposed to frequently search the computer to make the search engine run faster. so why not come up with a decent searching algorithm instead? fact is you don't need it. i always hit ctrl alt del and shut it down as first thing when i start my winxp machine. search hasn't become any slower at all. if i allow it to run it slows down the computer, and slows it down REAL hard if it actually goes into search mode.
interestingly my system became somewhat glitchy when i removed findfast from the autostart list. put it back on, everything became fine again. i don't get any errors by manually ending the process though, actually i gain a lot of speed by doing so. SSD 3.0 loads way faster without the stupid thing running in the background and searching my drives.

you can diable that findfast thing! ;)
and your system should not get gltichy by doing that.
as i said you need to optimize every system, especially when you need power for music production, games, etc.

cheers
S.

yes, but disabling findfast in msconfig gave me strange audio glitches every now and then. turned it back on, problem solves. just proves the old rule, don't touch a running system.

and seriously, in a time where most notebooks don't have more than 2gb ram there shouldn't be any OS that need those 2gb just to run. not every new pc sold has 4gb+ ram.
i didn't claim that my notebook is a highend machine, but it's well in the middle ground (used to be a bit more than average when i got it last year), and vista was released when? at least a few years ago. back then surely most of the machines sold didn't have more than 2gb ram. not to say that there weren't pc's that had more, i'm talking the average one here. the one the OS should be tailored to. you don't release an OS and preinstall it on most of the new computers that only runs on the highend machines of that time do you?

honestly, your points aren't really convincing.

edit: and btw, an OS should provide a decent standard to work on, but be able to be customized and tailored to specific applications. it should NOT be a full blown system that's already covering every possible bullshit application, but can be stripped down manually. it's supposed to be the other way round.

If it gave you strange audio glitches when you disabled it in msconfig, but not in the taskmanager, then the odds are that youre not even turning it of as it is right now(Except for the visible process.).

Kev, if you have to tell all of your users to 'sudo wget' anything (and I assume that this will be followed with 'find this, cd that, tar -zxvhdifa *.[Tt]* ./, /configure --prefix=$HOME/bin, locate candles_and_nice_dinnerware, make dinner, make cocktails, make out, make mistakes, make babies, make install') then you're just doing your job wrong. Powerful scripting is there for a reason.

Jeff

I got away with ordinary Ardour for a while, but with few companies making Linux drivers we'll have few companies making less-fucked plugins and vice versa...

As for gaming, you can play the Zork games and you can play the Quakes. What more do you really need?

Jeff

I'd pass out without a daily intravenous shot of World of Warcraft. :lol:

You can play that on Linux if you want to, but... do we really need to say anything about quitting WoW, or has it finally become one of those things like "You should stop smoking neon lights!" and "Glowing sewage isn't any healthier just because it makes you feel sparkly!" like it should have been long ago?

Jeff

The biggest problem is big companies will never release official linux drivers and this sucks so badly.
I guess Microsoft is a bunch of mobsters lol forcing them to not release those drivers lol
One of the only big ones I know of is ASUS, they always release the source code at least for compiling under linux so you find easily drivers on the net, if you're not used to compiling things with a c++ compiler.
Biggest problem is audio, I guess nobody made a digi003 working on Linux, that's really impossible right now.
The day the big ones will start thinking about linux, I'll make the change, in the end OSX that I like so much is based off that.

Taken from the DUC

It's my understanding that the most recent versions of OSX have departed from the Unix kernel heritage.

I have heard from a reliable source, inside Digidesign, that they actually have Protools running on Linux, and that the port from OSX isn't that hard, but are under contract obligation to Microsoft to not release a Linux port. Otherwise Microsoft can revoke their access to the Windows SDK.

Interesting!!!
As I knew! Microsoft are a bunch of mobsters.

Taken from the DUC

Interesting!!!
As I knew! Microsoft are a bunch of mobsters.

yeah m$ are scumbags. Quicktime vs vidoe for windows is an interesting tale!! VFW SUCKED so M$ stole quicktime.

" When Microsoft requested a free license for QuickTime for Windows in 1993, Apple refused; the two companies were still locked in a court battle over Microsoft's appropriation of the Mac desktop, and Apple didn't want to get its second wind knocked out of it.

Intel, hoping to accelerate the development of media work on commodity PCs--and fully aware that Apple had contracted with San Francisco Canyon to port portions of its QuickTime technology to Windows--approached Canyon to develop a video driver that would provide Microsoft's VfW with similar performance to QuickTime. While Intel knew that Canyon possessed Apple's code, it did not specify that Canyon needed to do clean room development, and gave the company an unrealistically short timeframe to develop the new code. Canyon simply delivered Apple's code to Intel, which then licensed it to Microsoft.

When Video for Windows suddenly improved in 1994, Apple investigated and found that Microsoft had simply stolen code from QuickTime in order to compete with QuickTime. Apple sued Microsoft and won an injunction that stopped it from distributing portions of the stolen code. The case was eventually resolved as part of the 1997 agreement between the two companies.

Essentially that agreement came about, as apple took m$ to court, m$ threatened to stop development of Office for the Mac. Concerned about losing business customers, apple had to make a deal, and so agreed
a cross licensing agreement
•a five year deal for continued development of Office for the Mac platform
•the designation of Internet Explorer as the default Mac web browser Mac users were NOT happy, check the keynote where jobs annouces this BOOS from the audience.
•a small but symbolic $150 million investment by Microsoft in Apple as non board/voting shares.