New computer XP to Vista?

It's a minimalist version of XP. 400MB total, and only uses 40MB of RAM.

Most of the time, you should be able to just format the system drive and reinstall XP, but I know some computers (specifically laptops) end up not working for some reason.

Most of the times it's just driver gathering for the things you want to work with(Mb drivers, Raid drivers, GPU drivers, etc...). Then a little format, a little windows install time, and driver installing. Haven't had a commercial pc i couldn't do this to. Since the hardware is always backwards compatible to xp n stuff.... So i would say no problemo

on the drivers topic,
i found that some of my XP drivers, such as the chipset driver, required files from XP PROFESSIONAL Service Pack 2 during install.
worth keeping in mind. i had an install of XP Home going but couldn't get the chipset driver to install without the XP Professional files.

the TinyXP i got was Pro Service Pack 3, sorted. :)

why wouldn't it be legal ? you just need a licence for your xp.
I have that small version of xp running as a dual boot with vista, works fine here

just needed to copy the NTLDR & NTDETECT from the cd to the partition that had windows xp on it, and make some changes in the bootloader with Easybcd.