New Computer... XP or 7?

I'd run XP just so you can be assured of compatibility with all your plugins and shit.

And then when the next run of plug ins come out, they wont work with XP because by then people will have moved on from bothering to make them for an operating system that is already more than 8 years old;)

And then when the next run of plug ins come out, they wont work with XP because by then people will have moved on from bothering to make them for an operating system that is already more than 8 years old;)

I'll believe it when I see it, and there are already tons of great plugs already so that one need not constantly stay on the cutting edge! ;) I just don't wanna even consider W7 until I know for a fact it (and most software running on it) are completely stable

for starters if your running 8gb of ram you will have to go 64bit vista or windows 7 as the 64bit version of xp can only read a maximum of 6gb so youll just have 2gb of ram just sitting there doing nothing now isnt that just a waste of ram.

from my experiences ive been using 7 for about 4-5 months now NOT ONE PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER. especially with audio the only problem was drivers but thats just common with a brand new OS with brand new architecture ( even though it really is just a faster shell than what Vista was theres still a fair few things that have been redone ) but ive also found that because it is soo alike vista just run vista drivers till the 7 drivers are released MOST vista drivers will work on 7 the only thing i own that i have had an issue with in regards to drivers was my guitar rig mobile unit that i got with my guitar no matter how many times i tryed to run the drivers in vista compatability mode they just wouldnt work where as my M-audio card i just ran the vista drivers in vista compatability mode so do that for anything that doesnt have win 7 drivers yet and if it still doesnt work then you will just have to wait for the win 7 drivers like i did with the guitar rig mobile unit

any way all in all windows 7 is by far one of the best operating systems ive seen from microsoft they really got some things right this time around windows 7 is almost as good as mac NOTE THE ALMOST !!!! lol but yeah Win 95 is still your best option and make sure you got nortons too you cant be a l33t h4x0r with out win 95 and nortons man.

any way jokes aside

win7 FTW literally i havent looked back from xp since i installed it once i realised the only thing that wouldnt work with win7 till win7 drivers were released for it was my GR mobile unit so i just got rid of XP well XP got rid of its self for me funnily enough the last time i used it it crashed and wouldnt boot into xp any more lol so yeah theres my massive massive massive first post on the forum soo HI every one and yeah hope to stick around here for a while deffinetly seems like the place to go for metal production and so forth :)

peace guys hope you enjoyed the read and please excuse the bad puntuation grammar and spelling im in a lazy mood tonight

James

MACINTOSH, MUTHAFUCKAS!!!!!

even though I do not own one. :heh:

It's really best to let any Microsoft product be tested by the 'me first' crowd. Found that out w/ Vista.

Yeah, I mean it's only been out a year. ( First BETA leaked december 2008, I remmember because I downloaded it. It got rave reviews even way back then, when it was far from finished. )

I say go with W7.

I'm still on RC1.

In the final release did they stop obscuring vital Control Panel features in retarded 'advanced menus'? I've felt they got just about everything right apart from that. It's way too hard to find essential features by diving through all those stupid menus. It's like using Cubase.

I'm still on RC1.

In the final release did they stop obscuring vital Control Panel features in retarded 'advanced menus'? I've felt they got just about everything right apart from that. It's way too hard to find essential features by diving through all those stupid menus. It's like using Cubase.

i use cubase lol, what do you use?

Damian_b cheers for pointing that out. but yeah i agree with ermz the control panel is a fucking pain in the ass but apart from that they've finally got it right

also damian_b i think the 128gb limit is also dependant on the proscessor as well as available ram slots on x motherboard least thats what im gathering from this particular comment

But, fact in the few past.
If talking only by design、 even XP x64 can treats 32TB.
2 socket hardware, such as Opteron 2000 number processor platform had maximum memory 128GB.
Microsoft says support that only what it was possible to prove.

And now, Xeon 5500 number processor platform can support maximum up to 144GB.
Microsoft will do the proof examination of 144GB in the near future.

kinda hard to understand as the grammar and english is pathetic but it makes sense to me as xeon and opteron processors are built for servers which require large amounts of ram for a start where as home PC processors pentium ,athalon just to name a few arent built to handle that amount of ram not to mention the limitations of 32bit only allow the OS to use 4gb.
Theres seems to be much confusion as to how much 32bit and 64bit systems can actually use i mean look at 32bit server OS's they can use well over 4gb but then again where not talking server OS's here are we but i still dont understand how if 32bit limitations only allow an OS to use 4gb how server OS's can use substantially more then say XP or Vista. if anyone could shed some light on that for me would be greatfull

XP 32bit can only USE a max of 4gb even with PAE ( physical_address_extension ) 64bit how ever i stand corrected im still learning about the 64bit architecture so yeah again cheers for pointing that out damian_b.

still all in all Win7 FTW ive stopped recommending XP to any one unless i know for a fact they have enough hardware with out 7 drivers to cause a ploblem which has been no one. For large professional studios i would still recommend XP or deffinetly mac over XP i mean no brainer that one really isnt it.

any way sorry for the long post again guys