New Computer... XP or 7?

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
What's your guy's opinions? It came with Vista, which I can't stand and refuse to use but I have Windows 7 as well as XP Pro... Which would you all recommend?

Typically I'd go with XP but I've been noticing it alot harder to find drivers and such for Xp and fear they're gonna start canceling it out but on the other hand I worry about 7 being a new OS...

Opinions?

7 fo' sho', except if it's gonna be ALL AUDIO, where for now you'd be better off with XP (performance-wise).

7 just makes everything so speedy with its search and works faster and better than vista, which worked in itself better but slower than XP due to its consumption of system resources IMO.

yeah, i think i may just do a dual boot on two separate hard drives and run xp on one and 7 on the other for personal but keep the opinions comming

BTW the computers specs are a quad core processor with 8G of ram and 1TB HD

If it´s a desktop I really can´t see how Vista is worse than XP. In the beggining there were all those drivers problems, but now I think Vista is just a better version of XP. I used the 7 very little, but it looked very similar to Vista.

supposedly a bunch of interfaces are not officially supported for W7 yet, and that is why, with a firepod, I have been scared off of buying a W7 machine. might be something to look into your interface's drivers support

lol i always use the disc that came with my firepod from like 5 years ago.

people on the presonus forum are really pissed, but there is a handful of people who post there that say they got it working fine. i just don't feel like being suck with W7 while presonus takes who knows how long to get some new drivers.

yeah, i think i may just do a dual boot on two separate hard drives and run xp on one and 7 on the other for personal but keep the opinions comming

BTW the computers specs are a quad core processor with 8G of ram and 1TB HD

With XP, it will only pickup around 3.5 GB of RAM. I don't know if it actually uses the rest but I have heard that it helps other hardware components out. 7 on the other hand can pickup all of that (I think).

With XP, it will only pickup around 3.5 GB of RAM. I don't know if it actually uses the rest but I have heard that it helps other hardware components out. 7 on the other hand can pickup all of that (I think).

No, it's a 32-bit limit.

I made the move to Win 7 x64 and I'm not looking back. So far so good. While not quite ready to give upon 32 bit plugins, the bridging provided in Sonar, and jBridge for a few, is solving the plugin issue for me.

Go Win7.

I've been using a pure, isolated XP install again but it's so unstable and prone to weird memory leaks that I'm not going to bother anymore. XP will just shit the rug more and more as new hardware comes out, and the increased ram limit from the 64-bit version of W7 will be a blessing with VSTis.

Like the guys said however, make sure your hardware manufacturers have drivers out for W7. They really should by now. RME had drivers out by the beta.

Another vote for Windows 7 here. The drivers for my Profire have been solid, and the 64bit OS has given me a bit more breathing room (with additional RAM available) for more plugins. I just got Cubase 5 installed last night and loaded up some old sessions where the CPU usage was around 80%...And now they are sitting at 40-50. I'm a happy camper. With a quad core processor and 8 GB of RAM, I'd go Win7 64 for sure...Perhaps the drivers for Vista or XP would work with Win7...I know I never had any problems running my 2 Firepods using older drivers or XP drivers with Vista.