New Computer... XP or 7?

Well i think I'm gonna make the jump to Windows 7 64bit thanks guys for all the info!

My setup I'm hoping will work if you guys can give me some insight as to compatability:
Presonus FP-10
Line6 Toneport UX-1

and thats pretty much all I gotta worry about driver-wise

Well i think I'm gonna make the jump to Windows 7 64bit thanks guys for all the info!

My setup I'm hoping will work if you guys can give me some insight as to compatability:
Presonus FP-10
Line6 Toneport UX-1

and thats pretty much all I gotta worry about driver-wise

FP10's are no longer supported under Windows 7. What the fuck is this.

There are work-arounds, mine is working under Asio4All, but honestly.. its like 2 or 3 years old, its quite ridiculous.

Ouch. All I've pretty much got is Line 6 stuff:erk:

Apparently it doesn't happen with anyone though, but even after a clean install, happens with my Toneport DI and my friend's GX. Pisses me off, I'm using my internal soundcard for mixing and all now with Asio4All.

How do you feel it improves upon XP, Shane?

Better stability, security, and speed. Also, drivers feel more solid (if I compare drivers written for XP in XP vs. drivers written for 7 in 7.) Working with removable media is faster and more stable. The UI improvements are great as well. But if you have older hardware, it might not be worth it.

As others have said, on new hardware Windows 7 is the obvious choice.

I'd agree with all of that, apart from maybe 'Speed'. It doesn't feel much faster than a bare bones XP install. Dealing with removable media in it is way better though. It seems to manage services and programs more intelligently. Things are 'segmented off' so an application crash will rarely ever hang the OS.

Biggest complaint is the messyness of the control panel. They really need some hardcore efficiency guy to go through that and put the important things within reach. M$ biggest downfall is that their OS has always half heartedly accommodated the lowest common denominator, so the stuff put up on the splash pages is usually rudimentary crap, whereas the actual options related to something important are obscured. That and it runs all these unnecessary services by default, as well as having very odd resource management.

One of the coolest things they can offer is OS 'profiles', so have templates for professional working environments, home/usability environments, pure networking environments and whatever else is necessary

When I say speed, I'm referring primarily to speed while multitasking. It doesn't get that "clogged" feeling of XP when running multiple apps at once, it's more responsive the way Mac OS X is. As far as comparing things like, opening a Windows Explorer window and browsing your C drive or something, it's probably the same as XP - that's primarily a factor of your hard drive and interface speeds, etc., probably not going to get faster until SATA 3 and SSD become standard fare. I'd say that for general purposes, Windows 7 is every bit as fast as a streamlined XP install, though - and a hell of a lot nicer to look at.

I agree that the Control Panel is a huge mess. The search functionality in the Control Panel works extremely well though, it's how I do things now. In fact, it's also how I navigate System Preferences on the Mac. Point is, there's so many system-level options in a modern OS, it's hard to lay it out in a way that's very intuitive, and search is a great way to mitigate that problem.

in terms of drivers nearly all drivers work in windows 7 if there isnt a windows 7 driver out just get the vista driver and install the driver in vista compatability mode if theres no vista drivers use XP and select the particular compatability mode it even has compatability mode based on service packs so you can run it under xp SP1 or xp SP2 and so forth the only driver i have come across that hasn't worked is is the guitar rig mobile I/O interface. as for programs just install it and if it doesnt work try compatability mode the only thing i havent been able to get to work so far is old Dos games but then again theres DOS box for that lol anything else has worked for me. so yeah really theres not much reason to do a dual boot at all if its something you really cant live with out at all then yeah go a dual boot system and just do all your audio on xp. thats what i did when i first installed windows 7 i actually had XP server 2008 and win 7 got rid of server 2008 and xp and just went with win 7 as there was literally no point for me.