byebye vista!

90% of all computer problems are sitting right in front of it, that's for sure;)

sorry man, but maybe a PC course would be better than swithcing to another OS :)

I keep hearing this so I'm telling you: Any Windows works fine. As long as you don't install any programs on it.

Some of my friends are having problems even with Windows 7, and yes they know how to handle computers. When people start installing programs that's when it all goes down to shitter or Windows starts its slow, painful death.

Just because you're lucky and your copy of Windows magically works with no problems (which I find immensely hard to believe btw) doesn't mean other people need PC courses.

In fact - I'd like to see just one PC with my own eyes that works well. I haven't seen one in years, despite having seen a few hundred of them in different occasions during that time.

i install programms every day and never had serious issues with it.

what programs are we talking about?
what windows are we talking about?

i knew a lot of people use some hacked windows shit from some russian
internetz and then they wonder why it does not work:lol:

i don't think that i am lucky with my magic windows copy,
i just have a solid system, up to date software, a good,
commercial anti vir software and a very tidied up and well organised file structure :)

cheers
S.

Well, take a friend of mine for example; he has just a few months old CUSTOM BUILT computer, with Windows 7, and he's installed just the regular kind of programs; games, day-to-day programs, a few pieces of hardware like a webcam etc.

He's had to reinstall windows like 2 times now because of all the problems he's getting. It's working well enough to use, but sure as hell not as well as it should...

Do you have any hardware devices installed on your computer?

yeah, "VISTA" sucks ! ;)

i never had any problem with vista...
i've seen so much shit of how people work with computers,
how they install/remove software, how they organise their data etc.

90% of all computer problems are sitting right in front of it, that's for sure;)

sorry man, but maybe a PC course would be better than swithcing to another OS :)

cheers
S.

well, them's fightin' words :loco:

for the record, what i was trying to say is that i don't know shit inside out, nor am i a geek who's overclocking the cpu, fiddles with the registry or whatnot.
i DO however know how to run a system, how to do basic maintenance, and trust me i've been using windows from the 95 version on, i can safely say that vista is the most unstable and slowest bullshit microsoft has ever released.

and having those 15 years of windows experience under my belt, i can safely say that my current linux based system is kicking it out of the water. there's just no comparison.

i ask you, do i have to take a computer course if vista decides to hang up while moving a 600mb file from hd to usb drive? a task i've performed a million times, and a task that runs just fine on my win xp based audio pc?

sorry, but if a system that's only used for running openoffice/word/excel/younameit, firefox (with a firewall and antivir software - preinstalled from the moment i bought the notebook), and listening to music with the media player progressively gets slower and more unstable, sometimes freezing at random times, takes a year to boot and shutdown, then i ask you, would you call that a good OS?

i don't.

and also for the record, the notebook was bought new and legitimately, so no cracked russian vista copy here.

now go and be happy with your windows life. i'm just glad i don't have to put up with the bs the system used to give me every day.

yeah, "VISTA" sucks ! ;)

i never had any problem with vista...
i've seen so much shit of how people work with computers,
how they install/remove software, how they organise their data etc.

Vista really sucks.

I know my shit about computers(Learning to swap ram as a 4 year old.), but seriously, Vista is a steaming pile of crap.
It works great on a few computers around the world, but it works like complete utter shit on the rest.

I installed Vista on my brothers computer.. 5 minutes later i got bluescreened.
I used to get bluescreened like once a week until Microsoft released an update(Had to do with shitty memory handling.).
My dad has a laptop with Vista on it: Never had a problem.

And i see the same amongst a few friends of mine, that some of them work great, while others star bluescreening on a fresh install.

In fact - I'd like to see just one PC with my own eyes that works well. I haven't seen one in years, despite having seen a few hundred of them in different occasions during that time.

Feel free to come check out my computers... Got Vista on my laptop with no issues, and Win7 running on my desktop with no issues.

Well, take a friend of mine for example; he has just a few months old CUSTOM BUILT computer, with Windows 7, and he's installed just the regular kind of programs; games, day-to-day programs, a few pieces of hardware like a webcam etc.

He's had to reinstall windows like 2 times now because of all the problems he's getting. It's working well enough to use, but sure as hell not as well as it should...

Do you have any hardware devices installed on your computer?

custom built does not always mean that it's a good computer :)
i installed W7 about 3 months ago and it's still running without any problem.
no slowdowns, no eroors. it may be the hardware that is causing problems.

cheers
S.

and having those 15 years of windows experience under my belt, i can safely say that my current linux based system is kicking it out of the water. there's just no comparison.

i ask you, do i have to take a computer course if vista decides to hang up while moving a 600mb file from hd to usb drive? a task i've performed a million times, and a task that runs just fine on my win xp based audio pc?

sorry, but if a system that's only used for running openoffice/word/excel/younameit, firefox (with a firewall and antivir software - preinstalled from the moment i bought the notebook), and listening to music with the media player progressively gets slower and more unstable, sometimes freezing at random times, takes a year to boot and shutdown, then i ask you, would you call that a good OS?

i don't.

and also for the record, the notebook was bought new and legitimately, so no cracked russian vista copy here.

now go and be happy with your windows life. i'm just glad i don't have to put up with the bs the system used to give me every day.

same here, also started using 95 and ended up as a happy W7 user.
i didn't say that vista is perfect but it's also not a system that does NOT run.
you kinda described it like a steady crash error OS.
the worst windows OS was this windows millenium shit, THIS was an OS where you got a blue screen everytime you did ANYTHING :lol:

vista and W7 also need POWER. by experience i know that alot of people
overrate their computers and their performance. i think this is the main reason for all the vista and W7 problems that people have to fight with.

about the computer course. you said that you are a PC noob,
so i suggested a course, nothing offensive about that!

moving files is a vista problem indeed,
sometimes vista needed about one minute to move a 2,5 MB big picture
from my desktop to my backup drive. happened once in a month, nothing dramatic.

cheers
S.

Tbh, most guys who "know their shit", dont know shit.. so im a bit skeptical to that.

Vista really sucks.

I know my shit about computers(Learning to swap ram as a 4 year old.), but seriously, Vista is a steaming pile of crap.
It works great on a few computers around the world, but it works like complete utter shit on the rest.

I installed Vista on my brothers computer.. 5 minutes later i got bluescreened.
I used to get bluescreened like once a week until Microsoft released an update(Had to do with shitty memory handling.).
My dad has a laptop with Vista on it: Never had a problem.

And i see the same amongst a few friends of mine, that some of them work great, while others star bluescreening on a fresh install.

can i make a guess!?
your father's laptop is newer than your brother's PC right!?

i thnk it's just a matter of computer performance. vista was running really good on my PC. on my brothers PC it was hard to do anything without causing a crash. he still has a XP pc , means he bought it when XP was the current OS. i think it's self-explaining that vista CAN NOT run properly with this computer specs :)

cheers
S.

well, knows his shit as in knowing how to compile a computer, overclock it and shit like that... I could probably compile a computer too, but I don't claim to know my shit.

Of course not, but this "custom built" meant as in "built from quality parts by a guy who knows his shit" :loco:

do you know your friend's computer specs!?

there's alot of shit giong on, and alot of shit is sold
and a lot of people know their shit without knowing any shit...
i hope you know what i am tryng to say :D

here's how most of all custom PC's start.
hmm, ok i want a custom PC...what do i need...a motherboard..ok, yeah, let's google what's the cheapest one...the start of all computer problems. :D

cheers
S.

same here, also started using 95 and ended up as a happy W7 user.
i didn't say that vista is perfect but it's also not a system that does NOT run.
you kinda described it like a steady crash error OS.
the worst windows OS was this windows millenium shit, THIS was an OS where you got a blue screen everytime you did ANYTHING :lol:

vista and W7 also need POWER. by experience i know that alot of people
overrate their computers and their performance. i think this is the main reason for all the vista and W7 problems that people have to fight with.

about the computer course. you said that you are a PC noob,
so i suggested a course, nothing offensive about that!

moving files is a vista problem indeed,
sometimes vista needed about one minute to move a 2,5 MB big picture
from my desktop to my backup drive. happened once in a month, nothing dramatic.

cheers
S.

well, my notebook is running a intel core 2 duo 1,66ghz and 2gb ram. while nothing out of the ordinary, i think it should be more than sufficient for the tasks i described.
my understanding is that vista needs roughly 2gb ram just to run smoothly, so it's quite obvious why it's a slow system.
tbh i just don't think that an OS should need that much system power. to me, an OS is supposed to provide a user friendly platform and allow the user to run the programs he wants. you don't need 2gb of ram (or 1 for that matter) to do that. just proves the fact that vista is full of unnecessary bullshit that doesn't make any sense but slows the whole thing down.
think about it, you could probably run linux on a 486 if you wanted, and i've yet to encounter a situation where i would need a feature-laden OS to master it.

another prime example of the windows idiocy is the stupid findfast.exe thing. it's supposed to frequently search the computer to make the search engine run faster. so why not come up with a decent searching algorithm instead? fact is you don't need it. i always hit ctrl alt del and shut it down as first thing when i start my winxp machine. search hasn't become any slower at all. if i allow it to run it slows down the computer, and slows it down REAL hard if it actually goes into search mode.
interestingly my system became somewhat glitchy when i removed findfast from the autostart list. put it back on, everything became fine again. i don't get any errors by manually ending the process though, actually i gain a lot of speed by doing so. SSD 3.0 loads way faster without the stupid thing running in the background and searching my drives.

do you know your friend's computer specs!?

there's alot of shit giong on, and alot of shit is sold
and a lot of people know their shit without knowing any shit...
i hope you know what i am tryng to say :D

here's how most of all custom PC's start.
hmm, ok i want a custom PC...what do i need...a motherboard..ok, yeah, let's google what's the cheapest one...the start of all computer problems. :D

cheers
S.

Well, I know he didn't try to take the cheapest route.

Anyway, I'll ask him for the actual specs later today, when he gets on MSN

kaomao, what the hell kind of Linux are you using and why can't you get one that's been updated since the 90s?

I, too, have been dealing with tech support for a while - 90s-ish, basically before the average guy realized that the Internet could display naked people. ("My cupholder is broken!", "One of my icons is blue and I don't know what to do!", "How do I fold the big floppy to get it into the little drive?") Don't pretend that I'm saying this because I don't know that people can be a bit dense.

I *am* going to say that Linux is easier than Windows for those who aren't already tainted by believing that every computer is a Windows machine and unable to change their mind about it. I am going to say that its support - being free and easily accessible - will be more convenient and helpful, and the people with the kinds of defects that would prevent that from working out (unwillingness to read, search the Internet, or call someone knowledgeable, for example) don't need the encouragement we give them.

For the drivers... go ahead and count your 'most of the time' on a modern distribution - unless you and your customers get off to obscure tape drives and you're using something ancient, you're simply out of your mind.

Jeff

can i make a guess!?
your father's laptop is newer than your brother's PC right!?

Other way around.
My brothers computer is a 3,33ghz Intel Core-2 Duo(Cant remember exactly which one.), with 4gb Corsair XMS2 Extreme(6400), XFX GeForce GTX275(896mb) all sitting on top of what at the time was Asus most expensive, top of the line motherboard.
Every single part had that cute little "Vista-certified" bullshit label on it.

Those specs are WAY over what Vista demands, all high quality components carefully selected for compatibility reasons.. yet it didnt work at all without hacking the registry.

i thnk it's just a matter of computer performance. vista was running really good on my PC. on my brothers PC it was hard to do anything without causing a crash. he still has a XP pc , means he bought it when XP was the current OS. i think it's self-explaining that vista CAN NOT run properly with this computer specs :)

No, its not.
Vista is incompatible with some hardware combinations.. Microsoft even admitted to this them selves(Thus creating the "Vista-certified" hardware branding.).
There are loads of lists on the internet with hardware that has shown to be incompatible with Vista in one way or another.

Around 10 years ago I had not lots of money and found a couple of computers in the GARBAGE, knew a geeky dude who knew how to build computers, built something out of the pieces and installed a cracked XP. The computer still works today. Total cost : 0$.

Then I got some money and bought myself a new computer that came with an official Vista. I also bought an anti-virus cuz I thought it was a wise investment.

TWO YEARS LATER (which is not long imho), Vista says "in one minute your computer will shut down". Ok.... IT NEVER RE-OPENED! It said "insert install disk"... I did not have the stupid ass install disk!!!!! So after googling everything ( from garbage-computer ) I could about stupid ass lame vista OS suiciding on me, I talked to a microsoft technician who said I should pay around 100$ to get XP and then he would go into my computer to do some SATA related stuff. Paying cuz they failed pissed me off. So I tried to install a cracked version of Vista and 7... nothing worked.

It made no sense in my mind that the cracked OS from a computer built from pieces found in the garbage would outlive my sexy computer.

So I installed ubuntu and my computer came back to life! But however, for mixing music linux is lame... unless there is something I do not know??? But I was very pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to use, the ubuntu forum is very useful, especially for cmd thingies. :p I realized I am quite gifted at copy-pasting codes. :pPP

So I do think everyone who doesn't mix music or is a gamer or whatever should be on linux. :p

I got away with ordinary Ardour for a while, but with few companies making Linux drivers we'll have few companies making less-fucked plugins and vice versa...

As for gaming, you can play the Zork games and you can play the Quakes. What more do you really need?

Jeff