fuck windows

premx

Apr 15, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
do you know any other good os for an intel pc?

i fed up with this shit, today when i turned my pc on, a message showed up that windows can't load my profile. then i logged in as admin, created a new profil, etc, i can boot into windows, than all my project files, all my stuff lost.

fuck

Unless you've had some seriously ass backwards crash man, your files are still on the disk in the old profile I imagine?

One "tactic" worth a mention that I employ, is not keeping any essential data on the same disk as the operating system. If you google to find the right reg keys you can change your desktop, your favourites, and any other profile specific folders to feed directly from another drive.

This is a god send as I typically re image every 6 months and I can effectively press delete on the operating system partition knowing I have everything I need.

do you know any other good os for an intel pc?

i fed up with this shit, today when i turned my pc on, a message showed up that windows can't load my profile. then i logged in as admin, created a new profil, etc, i can boot into windows, than all my project files, all my stuff lost.

fuck

I think your data isn't lost. In wich folder did you save your projects? If you saved them under "documents" they still have to be there. (eg C:\User\"Old Username"\documents (or whatever))

much i really don't want to admit it... and haven't used it for audio. Win 7 is less horrifically shit than windoze ExPEE

Xp is the most stable OS period, more so than 7 and OSX. You shouldn't be having catastrophic failures like that unless you have shitty hardware which is a huge reason for crashes and loosing information, not the software. Your information is not lost, but it will be difficult to get if the administrator account was the one that can't load. You will have to boot another OS that is on a separate drive to get to it.

Depends. Most nvidias and all the newer ati's are slowly getting there. You need to find a correct kext or "driver" for your wifi chip.

yeah I don't know a whole lot about it but from what I understand the most popular graphics chipsets/wifi work

yeah I don't know a whole lot about it but from what I understand the most popular graphics chipsets/wifi work

The last time I fiddled with it, OS X on a PC was very picky about the hardware, and the most popular components did by no means work by default. This is from personal experience, I've had three Hackintoshes up to date, and none of those worked 100%.

If you want to build a machine that you are 100% sure will have 100% compatible hardware, you enjoy fucking around with computers and you want to tread on the gray zone of the OS X license agreement, go for it. For a professional audio station, though, I can not recommend it. Not by a long shot.

Your options are pretty much Win7 or getting a Mac if you're not happy with XP, I'm afraid.

Xp is the most stable OS period, more so than 7 and OSX. You shouldn't be having catastrophic failures like that unless you have shitty hardware which is a huge reason for crashes and loosing information, not the software. Your information is not lost, but it will be difficult to get if the administrator account was the one that can't load. You will have to boot another OS that is on a separate drive to get to it.

We don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac thread, but I'll ask you not to generalize like that. Almost all the XPs I've used can lock up, get stuck etc. but on OSX it's never the OS that gets stuck, always only the program. And it's fast to close programs by force if needed. THAT is stable in my book.

We don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac thread, but I'll ask you not to generalize like that. Almost all the XPs I've used can lock up, get stuck etc. but on OSX it's never the OS that gets stuck, always only the program. And it's fast to close programs by force if needed. THAT is stable in my book.

I have found tried and true that if the system locks up or crashes quite often, again, has nothing to do with the OS itself, but is rather the hardware. Over the popularity for XP I have messed with many, and I mean many different formats from brand name to cheap home builds to 1k+ home builds and the stability of the system itself was always directly correlated with the quality of the hardware. From my experience with a dual boot machine, 7 has its issues about not recognizing things here or there, including java, ASIO drivers (sometimes working, sometimes not). Talking about OSX is a whole other topic, but in terms of performance and reliability, every OS for the most part will get you to the same location. OSX has its issues as well, neither OS formats are perfect. My personal preference is an OS that allows me to play games and isn't too picky with hardware and allows me to build my machine from the ground up, and that is why I have my preference.

Fair enough - that's exactly why I believe Windows usually sucks. Like you said, it comes down to what hardware is being used, and OSX is optimized to the hardware Apple uses, and that of course has its own pros and cons as well.

You really are comparing apples and oranges. For the record Windows OS's are much more forgiving with hardware than OSX, ask the people that have tried building a hackintosh. Apple's hardware is well high quality and you pay a pretty penny for it (you could easily do the same with a PC). The few setbacks in a mac is really the compatibility with hardware as Apple doesn't ensure compatibility with certain products they feel their users won't need, including after market video cards etc.

I also didn't mean that Windows systems are picky about hardware, they really aren't. I meant down to the fundamental level of electronics. If a circuit was built cheaply, its not going to perform very well. When we start talking about transistors, memory and microprocessors for example...in transistors, if you want one that can react quicker to input signals then you pay more for a higher precision made transistor. Transistors make up memory, CPU's anything that processes data. When you pay more for high quality device, the components react much quicker, run with lower voltages, do not get as hot and are more stable at higher frequencies. When any computer crashes being a PC or Mac, its because the temperatures got too hot, and the system was running too fast which caused a hiccup in the system, errors where received and the information was not executable, resulting in that program or in some cases the whole system crashes. You could have a flawless OS and it would still have crashing programs and other system crashes because no piece of hardware will ever be perfect and hardware will still have its moments where it has errors. The only way to prevent that from happening more often is to pay more for better hardware, hardware that can run faster and cooler. That is why you pay a pretty penny for a Mac, they make a proprietary system where the hardware is based around the OS, and because of that they don't cut corners on the manufacture of the hardware. Again you could easily buy equivalent quality components for a PC build and guess what, that PC would actually cost the same as its equivalent Mac.

That's why the Mac vs PC debate is so god damned stupid, under identical quality hardware, both MAC and PC are just as powerful and just as stable. Of course in OSX they haven't cared to program the OS to be able to work very stable on 3rd party hardware which is why gaming on macs is not possible and why macs aren't available in the lower market, but if you have 2k+ to drop on a computer, in terms of power and performance, it just comes down to which OS you prefer and if you want to game with your machine.

Other than that, stability from the actual coding itself is minimal from OS to OS, as I said before on the same hardware setup, XP runs faster, more stable and the drivers tend to work better with less hiccups than on 7. Its just the way it goes though, 7 is the new technology that needs to be refined and the 3rd party hardware vendors need to update their begins to help the OS become more optimized.

Win 7 is definitely better for me than XP was, I just need a bit more RAM and I'll be really happy with it.

I'd do Hackintosh if it didn't cost me anything, more than likely I'd waste a few days troubleshooting incompatible hardware instead of just getting on with my life and using my already working system.

wasn't there a sticky a few weeks ago from Lasse saying NO COMPUTER - MAC VS PC ETC. DISCUSSIONS ????

You are right, thewintersnow, I agree. I can definitely believe that I've run into the shittier kind of build on PCs at home, school and public areas :lol: and I don't have any good experiences on PC laptops, no matter what the price, but it really comes down to the model and manufacturer and some are just better than others...

wasn't there a sticky a few weeks ago from Lasse saying NO COMPUTER - MAC VS PC ETC. DISCUSSIONS ????

Nobody's arguing about which is better, so I can't see the problem here.