Anyone in a death metal band?

Smitty

Prick
Nov 17, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Just wondering... imma lead guitarist for my thrash band, Ripcord, but i kinda wanted to experiment a little so i tried out for a local band looking for a new vocalist/rythme guitarist....

well, i made the band (its name is Misinterpreted) but, ive never done any death metal vox before... and after our first practice my throat hurt like shit... itsa day later and im to the point where i cant even speak... i LITERALLY lost my voice...its begining to creep me out:

so my question for those of you in DM bands is:

is this a normal thing to happen to you when you first start on vox? if i tore my vocal chords will they repair themselves? if so, will my voice always be raspy? :yell:

Oh, and feel free to use this thread to tell us something about your band, promote, inform us, enlighten us, give us your MP3s :headbang:

Yes, i vox and drum.

Some people say that growling/screaming is an art.

Dude, you dont use your throat, try using you gut.

But yeh, your throat WILL get used to hit, say like..callouses.

Oh BTW, my band dont really have a name it hasn't clicked yet.

Menicle Anex (progressive, death vox)
Safe Sex Is Better Than Children (experimental instrumental)
and another band, basically Iron Maiden meets tool.

i'm 2 death metal bands at the moment

Battlechrist (really heavy melodic death (i play guitar))
Gogmagog (were trying to make it as insane as possible (i do vocals))

and i'm in another band thats like black sabbath style rock and roll in which i play guitar and sing back up.

and it will get easier to sing as u start to develop a technique my throat still hurts a bit when i growl (i haven't been singing for that long) but it is getting easier, but i have never lost my voice from doing it, so u must be really punishing ur vocal chords.

Yeh, you shouldn't really punish it first go...like progressively build up.

Take hints from like drill sergeants. I think there was a topic not long ago on peoples techniques of growling. Like growl from your gut and expel through the throat using it to reverberate the sound.

Oi fallen, were bouts u live?

i have a few mp3s of gogmagog, battlechrist only has a shitty tape recording, and i have an mp3 of the old school death rock band.

but no proper demos or anything like that........yet.

Yup... At first your throat i sore like ****. And you even can lose the voice like you did (don´t even try to sing untill the voice is back to normal). But after a while (a couple of rehearsals) the vocal chords (ehh? is that a correct word?) get strengthen and your voice get better/more endured...

someone can give me a drum tip?

how can i perform that really ultra hiper fast beats using the snare?