Is Opeth a death metal band?

museum educator

New Metal Member
Nov 20, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
I work as a museum educator and meet young people in one of our exhibitions, which concerns the subject of death. Since I don´t know much about death metal, I would like to know how you would describe Opeth. Is it a death metal band? How would you describe death metal?

Metal genre's are hard to work with today. So much metal now incorporates influence from across the metal spectrum. To call Opeth simply a Death Metal band would not do them justice. They are more than that . Not in the way that they are better or worse than death metal, they just should not be restricted to that title and all the elements that are ascociated with that genre. I would say Opeth are not Death Metal, but have incorporated some elements of that genre in their music, vocals particularly.

I agree with Sympozium. I would call them Progressive Death Metal maybe, but not simply Death Metal. Allthough Mikael (the singer/guitarist)does refer to themselves as being a Death Metal band.

If you are looking for good examples of Death Metal, I think Obituary, Grave, Dismember, Deicide, old Entombed, Morbid Angel and Bloodbath (also a band with Mikael on vocals) are representative of this genre. Off course there are a lot more.

I would describe Death Metal as being a very heavy kind of metal with vocals that would come out of a rotting corpse if it was able to sing or speak.

It has lots of agression (musically) and tempo changes, lots of death related lyrics.

I would consider them exactly what they want to be considered, Death Metal. Mikael has mentioned that they are a death metal band countless times, and it would be unfair to cast another defintion of musical genre onto Opeth. It creates expectation from not only the listener, but also from Opeth. There is no denying Opeth has a very unique sound, but that sound encompasses Mikael's definition of their music.

Opeth = Death Metal

No one brought up Black Metal yet? Cause that's what I think they mostly are. Of course, an album like Deliverance leans more towards Death Metal, I believe. But then again, you have Damnation, which is more Soft Rock'ish.

Black Metal? No way. Since when do they talk about misanthropy? Plus their riffs are not nearly as repetitive or their vocals as scratchy. Their earlier two albums do sound soooooort of black metal-ish. Their lyrics are more on the doomy side than anything.

The only doomy song is Dirge for November IMO. Some of their lyrics can be seen as doom pherhaps, but the music is not slow or depressing enough (in general) to be doom. Black metal? Eh, I kind of consider the first two semi black metal. In general Opeth is just Progressive Death Metal to me

They are only Death Metal in the aesthetic sense of the word. If you listen to a straight up Death Metal band like Morbid Angel or Deicide, you would instantly realize that Opeth are not on that plateau... despite Mikael having said countless times that the best categorization for their band is 'Death Metal', its not hard to see that Opeth differentiates much from the average 'Death Metal' act.

The only 'Death Metal' aspect I find in their music is mainly
1) The vocals, which as of late have become deeper and definately trademark of the 'Death Metal' genre.
2) Some of the song arrangements and the way they entwine with the vocals.

Lyrically, Opeth is definately based around demising themes... death, withering in every sense of the word, but not in the shallow sense that most 'Death Metal' acts are. They do not solely sensationalize or intensify purely death in their music, although they touch on themes closely related.

The ideology with Opeth is that they're out to make good music... and they've used a number of different influences way, way outside the metal realm to achieve their overall sound, and I think its giving Opeth discredit if you simply and bluntly label them 'Death Metal'.

Moonlapse said:
The only 'Death Metal' aspect I find in their music is mainly
1) The vocals, which as of late have become deeper and definately trademark of the 'Death Metal' genre.
2) Some of the song arrangements and the way they entwine with the vocals.
I agree.

Man it's all bollocks. Traditional death metallists just write lyrics about corpse mutilation and zombies because they think it's cool. Then they go to play ice-hockey.

In black metal, which is not to be mixed up with Opeth in any way, it's about some kind of "death worshipping" I don't know a shit about, cause it's strongly related to satanism and all that gay stuff.

Windom Pearl said:
Man it's all bollocks. Traditional death metallists just write lyrics about corpse mutilation and zombies because they think it's cool. Then they go to play ice-hockey.

In black metal, which is not to be mixed up with Opeth in any way, it's about some kind of "death worshipping" I don't know a shit about, cause it's strongly related to satanism and all that gay stuff.
:err:

:lol:

It pretty funny because I think their musical career defines progressive rather well. Their first 2 albums were black metal/folk. MAYH seemed like straight death metal with the exception of the softer songs of course. Still Life and Blackwater Park seemed to head towards prog/death metal. Deliverance was brutal no doubt but showed much more of a 70's vibe in my mind. Damnation was an exhibition record that I'm sure theyd never do again but showed their awesome versatility as a rock band. I think progressive rock fits them much more then any other genre. I say rock because prog metal is kinda silly imo. Such an artificial taste to it.