Anyone know of any good prog metal bands?

I like bands that are slightly prog metal like Fates Warning, Adramelch, Atheist, but that's it really.

Stick with prog rock.

Early Messhuggah (when they still had some thrash in em) is good prog metal, but when it get's to much it just sounds awkward and out of genre (the genre being heavy metal) imo.

How are Meshuggah and Born of Osiris prog rock at all? Meshuggah has always been Technical "Post"-Thrash, and Born Of Osiris is shitty deathcore mixed with "djent".

I like bands that are slightly prog metal like Fates Warning, Adramelch, Atheist, but that's it really.

Stick with prog rock.

This, there's kinda two ways to call a band prog metal; first there's the prog archives kinda definition that lumps bands together that sound like Dream Theater / Ayreon or Meshuggah / Textures, then there's just metal that's clearly written with progressive structures and ideas like Fates Warning, Adramelch, The Chasm, Revelation, etc.

Imo the latter is the only good kind typically.

This, there's kinda two ways to call a band prog metal; first there's the prog archives kinda definition that lumps bands together that sound like Dream Theater / Ayreon or Meshuggah / Textures, then there's just metal that's clearly written with progressive structures and ideas like Fates Warning, Adramelch, The Chasm, Revelation, etc.

Imo the latter is the only good kind typically.

Oh, if The Chasm counts, then them too.

Interesting. Would you happen to know anything similar to Opeth? I'm looking for something with acoustic sections, or even full songs, but I like dark sounding music, really dark. And I love Opeth's balance of Black and Death metal, similar to both but not quite either, anything like that or are they pretty unique?

Sorry warchild I kind of stole your thread

Ikuinen Kaamos...there are a couple others but I can't think of them at the moment. You may also be interested in The Morningside