Anyone know of any good prog metal bands?

For Sven...

Ikuinen Kaamos

Farmakon (a bit more death metal-y, but wait until after the one minute mark...things start changing up)

Nucleus Torn (a bit more neo folky. An outstanding band worth listening to anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
How are Meshuggah and Born of Osiris prog rock at all? Meshuggah has always been Technical "Post"-Thrash, and Born Of Osiris is shitty deathcore mixed with "djent".

yeah your right about born of osiris they are definitely deathcore...they have bits in prog in them but to call them a prog band wouldnt be accurate...that was my mistake...im new to this genre...anyway meshuggah are definitely technical and considered by alot of people to be death some think thrash...who knows man...but they are def progressive to me...

Also, if you're talking strictly meshuggah, you might wanna just check out anything djent.

Vildhjarta
In Exile
Think
Monuments
Periphery
TesseracT (my favorite, already mentioned it though lol)

yeah your right about born of osiris they are definitely deathcore...they have bits in prog in them but to call them a prog band wouldnt be accurate...that was my mistake...im new to this genre...anyway meshuggah are definitely technical and considered by alot of people to be death some think thrash...who knows man...but they are def progressive to me...

I think the problem here is that you are using the word progressive correctly. When referring to music progressive ironically means adding classical elements and non-popular song structures, when it should mean adding elements not tried before, instead we call that experimental. If progressive metal was truly progressive none of the bands would sound similar. Just keep in mind that if you call something progressive, people are going to expect it to sound like Opeth.

Interesting. Would you happen to know anything similar to Opeth? I'm looking for something with acoustic sections, or even full songs, but I like dark sounding music, really dark. And I love Opeth's balance of Black and Death metal, similar to both but not quite either, anything like that or are they pretty unique?

Sorry warchild I kind of stole your thread
There's no other bands like Opeth, but here's a list of bands you might enjoy:

Ne Obliviscaris (my favorite)
Be'lakor
In Mourning
The Ocean collective