Anyone know of good Classical Metal Covers?

DarkFifl

Jul 11, 2002
Vilseck Germany
Visit site
Ever since I heard Metallica's S&M .. which I sort of liked but not awhole lot.. I havn't really been into classical music and Metal combined....

But I just heard Therion's cover of O fortuna and I was like Wow that kicks ass.

So can anyone reccomend some good classical with metal or just metal covers of classical songs?

There are quite a few. These are what I know off the top of my head....

Cirith Ungol did Toccata in Dm on King of the Dead
Yngwie Malmsteen played Bach's Badinerie in the solo for Cry No More off of Fire & Ice
Savatage sorta did Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King as Prelude to Madness on, of course, Hall of the Mountain King
I think a few of Samael's intros on Ceremony of Opposites are classically derived - particularly Baphomet's Throne
Candlemass covered Chopin with Marche Funebre on Nightfall
Mekong Delta devoted an entire album to Mussorgsky with 1997's Pictures at an Exhibition
Manowar's William's Tale on Battle Hymns is Rossini's William Tell Overture, and Sting of the Bumblebee on Kings of Metal is Rimsky-Korsakov's (I think?) Flight of the Bumblebee
Then there's the Great Kat, who does a large amount of classical compositions in speed metal style.

I'm sure there are a lot more, as metal has strong ties to classical composition, but this is all I can think of right now...

A few bands you might want to check out:

Haggard - Death metal with classical music. The band has 16+ members, a miniature orchestra!

Rhapsody - Epic power metal with classical passages

Dark Lunacy - Death metal played along with classical instruments

And you already mentioned you know about Therion. Most of their albums are operatic/classical in nature. My favorites are Theli, Vovin and Lepaca Kliffoth.

Get Hollenthon if you like classical/metal. You also said you liked the growling vocals. Hollenthon has it all. Trust me.

There is a stringensemble on Theatre of Tragedy's "Velvet darkness they fear". If you like gothic and you haven't got this album I can warmly recommend it to you. If you rule out Type O Negative, I would say this is one of the best gothic albums, right after The Gathering's "Mandylion" and The 3rd and the Mortal's "Tears laid in earth".
The strings blend in really well and you don't really notice them, which I guess is a good thing! The strings aren't featured on all the songs though. The best song on the album IMO is "On whom the moon doth shine", so try and check this out!
This isn't metal, but haven't you noticed that the theme for the cartoon "Inspector Gadget" is completely stolen from Grieg's "Hall of the mountain king"??