Anyone run amp sims through a keyboard amp?

May 1, 2009
Bay Area, CA.
www.myspace.com
Just curious if anyone runs their amp sims through a keyboard amp? I'm in the market for one with my synth setup, so it'd be nice if it could double as a decent amplifier for my amp modeling software. Suggestions on which models slay would be much appreciated...for now I'm just looking at Roland. Thanks

not to hi-jack your thread... but speaking of amp sims sent to cabs: What is the process of playing an Amp Sim through a guitar cab? Is this possible?

sorry for not answering your post

not to hi-jack your thread... but speaking of amp sims sent to cabs: What is the process of playing an Amp Sim through a guitar cab? Is this possible?

sorry for not answering your post

You would have to run it through the power section of an amp (effects loop return) and out the amp into the cab...I'm sure there are other ghetto ways of doing it but that what I'd do

A guy that I work with has gone completely modeled/sims for his amps, even for live performances and uses a Hartke KM200 keyboard amp for the amplification from his laptop rig. He plays guitar in a female fronted blues band with a sort of Bonnie Raitt vibe. He uses Amplitube's StompIO as his controller and has a laptop loaded up with all the IKMultimedia stuff. Must say - it sounds really good and he says it offers him great flexibility and the Hartke is great for the modeled stuff - does not color it.

You would have to run it through the power section of an amp (effects loop return) and out the amp into the cab...I'm sure there are other ghetto ways of doing it but that what I'd do

I believe you need to send the ampsim through a reamp box to do that, correct me if I'm wrong..

Nope, you don't need to, since it's designed to accept a hotter, lower impedance signal which any FX processor would output (not quite line level, I don't think, but close enough)

also, my mesa amp's tubes are blown out. Does this matter if I use the amp's effects loops return, to run it to the cab? n00b question, but I can't afford to fix my amp since I'm paying off other things currently.

So in steps...

I'd have to take a 1/4 inch cable (from my profire 2626) to the effects loop return, and from the amp into the cab? Turn off the Cab simulation on Revalver?

Just curious if anyone runs their amp sims through a keyboard amp?

Yep, a keyboard amp is basically just a small PA, so it'll be the same as running it through studio monitors or direct to the board.

Yep, best bet is to switch off any cab and mic simulation and go into the fx return. Watch out though as the ouput of your amp sim will control the overall level of your amp!

I believe you need to send the ampsim through a reamp box to do that, correct me if I'm wrong..

Nope, you would need a reamp box if you were going into the input of the amp. The fx return will be fine with a line level signal.

also, my mesa amp's tubes are blown out. Does this matter if I use the amp's effects loops return, to run it to the cab?
Not sure about this one man, surely if the tubes are blown then the amp won't work at all? Or are you talking about the preamp tubes? Not sure how happy your amp would be running on blow tubes but then I'm not an amp tech to be honest.

also, my mesa amp's tubes are blown out. Does this matter if I use the amp's effects loops return, to run it to the cab?

:erk: If you're power tubes are blown you should definitely not try that at all. If you're preamp tubes are bad...it might work but I still wouldn't do it

I think you'll like it alot dude, best tones I ever had from my POD XT were when I was running it through the poweramp of my marshall, tames a bit of the fizziness and adds some valve goodness when you get the amp up to a decent volume.

now I'm getting excited! haha thanks everyone for the info, and so sorry to the og poster for the hi-jack.

Screw you for overtaking my thread! Actually it doesn't bother me a bit, at least there is some valuable information in this thread. It seems like not a lot of people have much experience running it through a keyboard amp. I'll take the dive and buy one and report back!

A guy that I work with has gone completely modeled/sims for his amps, even for live performances and uses a Hartke KM200 keyboard amp for the amplification from his laptop rig. He plays guitar in a female fronted blues band with a sort of Bonnie Raitt vibe. He uses Amplitube's StompIO as his controller and has a laptop loaded up with all the IKMultimedia stuff. Must say - it sounds really good and he says it offers him great flexibility and the Hartke is great for the modeled stuff - does not color it.

i want to do something like this, but be able to load say onqel's engl sim for my main distortion, and switch to a guitar rig preset for cleans, etc etc.

anyone know if its possible, for the purpose of a live setup, to control a computer with a footswitch and have it switch between not only different presets in a certain app (like within guitar rig), but completely switch vsts on the fly? e.g. hitting a button and switching from guitar rig 3 to amplitube

maybe like load sonar and put guitar rig on 1 channel and another sim on another channel and have a midi command toggle the muting of the channel you dont want to be on.

it'd be nice if there was a piece of software that was just a shell for vst plugins that would handle the switching for you in 1 convenient spot. come to think of it does revalver do that? i seem to remember something like that

kind of OT, but I was just thinking the other day that someone should make a standalone vst/au/rtas loader that would run outside of a daw. that would be awesome! they could also make the plugins midi selectable via midi footswitch. the options would be endless! you could use if for anything from guitar amp sims, to vocal preamps/effects, to bass, to live drum replacement! or maybe there is already something out there like this???