Anyone seen Opeth live?

Oct 13, 2002
The Womb Of WA
If so, what kind of show do they put on? Good stage presence? On the tours as of late are they playing a lot of new stuff and ignoring the early material? I've obviously never seen them live myself, a ton of live audio bootlegs is the closest I've come.

A Journeys End said:
If so, what kind of show do they put on? Good stage presence? On the tours as of late are they playing a lot of new stuff and ignoring the early material? I've obviously never seen them live myself, a ton of live audio bootlegs is the closest I've come.
Opeth tend to seem pretty sucked into the music most of the time, so don't expect any jumping around or manic headbanging. Mendez the bassist usually looks the most active with his circular headbanging during the songs, but Mikael is usually pretty entertaining between songs with his comments and banter with the audience. Peter tends to look the most subdued on stage I guess I'd say. Basically, people that dig things that are more like a big show, with fancy lights and smoke and exaggerated posturing with guitars usually say Opeth are boring. It just really depends on your taste. I thought Opeth was incredible live; they seem really into what they are playing without overdoing it with a bunch of rockstar posturing and antics. Mikael especially looks like he's really into his leadplaying.

You can probably look up their recent setlists on this message board, but it really just depends what they're touring for. Most of the time, it's a good setlist made up of a decent mix of older and newer material, but for the damnation tour it was all the lighter material that they've never played before - that being the entire album of damnation plus face of melinda, benighted, to bid you farewell, and a cover of soldier of fortune. A typical setlist would be something like - The Leper Affinity, Advent, Bleak, Godhead's Lament, A Fair Judgement, The Drapery Falls, Credence, Deliverance, and an encore of Demon of the Fall. Maybe another song or two in there, but that's what I know they played when I saw them this year on the tour for Deliverance.

I'm gonna see them live this evening, what can I expect? And since its their european tour (mixed set it says on their site, containing material from deliverance, damnation and older material) which songs can I expect to hear?

I've seen them three times.

It's all about the music - period. They are not there for stage presence, although they seem larger than life to me when they are on stage playing.

Just seeing gifted musicians live is enough for me.