Anyone sound similar to Ray Gillen these days?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
God knows, you can't replace a Ray Gillen! With that said, do we have anyone that's currently active/putting out material that remotely comes close?

For example, Jorn and Russell will always be able to scratch my Dio itch...especially Jorn.

~Brian~

god I miss Ray Gillen, he had an awesome voice and killer stage presence

Good luck buddy! The closest music I can think of that's even close to Gillen/Badlands would be Red Sea. Otherwise....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-5nCRxwgY&feature=related

They're not current, but it's good stuff.

Agree 100% - Red Sea - Blood is a great CD and sounds alot like Badlands did. Greg Chaisson (Bass) and Jeff Martin (Drums), both from Badlands also play on this. I had the pleasure of meeting Ray Gillen on the first Badlands tour and have that CD signed by all 4 of them and a picture with Ray Gillen buried somewhere.

The Badlands self-titled CD is one of my faves. Thanks for the Red Sea recommendation. They sound great!

God knows, you can't replace a Ray Gillen! With that said, do we have anyone that's currently active/putting out material that remotely comes close?

For example, Jorn and Russell will always be able to scratch my Dio itch...especially Jorn.

~Brian~

Brian, you may want to go ask this question over at the oldschool forum. Over there, we don't just discuss old bands, but bands that have that "oldschool" style as well. That may be the ticket.
Someone who sings as well as Gillen did would probably get well known enough for someone around here to discover though........ so good luck.

Bryant

Metal's pretty much fully broken from its blues rock roots, and Europeans seem incapable of putting any soul in their voice, a few remarkable guys like Roy Khan and Jorn Lande excepted. If you want a Ray Gillen-type singer you'll have to search some rock clubs.

I've never heard anyone that sounds like Ray Gillen, and I don't think that we ever will. That voice was truly one of a kind. Every time I hear him, I think, "This is how Robert Plant should have sounded!" I'm sure that would be considered heresy to most folks, but I never understood the appeal of Plant. Anyway, Gillen was absolutely incredible, and I wish I had a time machine to witness his awesomeness on stage.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I've never heard anyone that sounds like Ray Gillen, and I don't think that we ever will. That voice was truly one of a kind. Every time I hear him, I think, "This is how Robert Plant should have sounded!" I'm sure that would be considered heresy to most folks, but I never understood the appeal of Plant. Anyway, Gillen was absolutely incredible, and I wish I had a time machine to witness his awesomeness on stage.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Badlands at the Vic in Chicago was one of my favorite shows ever, at that venue! :headbang:

Metal's pretty much fully broken from its blues rock roots, and Europeans seem incapable of putting any soul in their voice, a few remarkable guys like Roy Khan and Jorn Lande excepted. If you want a Ray Gillen-type singer you'll have to search some rock clubs.

Metal is no different than most ANY style of music in ONE particular way. The "way" I am referring to is that trends don't die forever. They resurface. Blues has found it's way into metal before and will do it again.
Having said that...... Ray was much more than just some blues/metal singer. Tom Keifer sang blues and metal (sort of) as well. You can't compare the two. I am not knocking Tom mind you. Keifer actually had a great voice, but I can't point to Cinderella albums and say "listen to this" because Tom and Ray are worlds apart.
Keep your ears open because someone will come through and take Ray's spot (not replace him mind you) as far as filling that void. Urban Breed filled the void that Mike Howe left in me when he retired.

Bryant

I thought I had read somewhere that there is going to be Badlands re-issues. Anybody know more info about it?

I still don't have any of their CDs, but I'm not going to pay $50 for one. Anybody know where I can get a physical legal copy for cheap?