anyone there from the 80's

guy@benest.wanadoo.co.uk said:
Sounds like you have the same one as me.
If so it's from the Strong Arm Tour.
Quality a but ropey, but we are talking over 25 years ago.
Will try and dig mine out and give you the set list to see if it's the same one.

It is a double album bootleg, same cover as 'Strong Arm Of The Law', but called 'Heavy Metal Thunder'. Recorded at the Manchester Apollo in 1980.

Track list is -

Side 1.

Heavy Metal Thunder.
See The Light Shining.
Backs To The Wall.
Hungry Years.

Side 2.

Rainbow Theme/Frozen Rainbow.
Strong Arm Of The Law.
20,000 ft.

Side 3.

Freeway Mad.
Dallas 1pm.

Side 4.

Stand Up And Be Counted.
Stallions Of The Highway.
Wheels Of Steel.

Latest installment of what could be a long running thread!
Denim & Leather tour.
After the Newcastle gig, we were heading home before the next venue (which I think was Ipswich). By this time we had got to know the band well and we offered Graham Oliver a lift, as he was heading home for a day off and Mexborough was sort of on the way (we were going to Chester to de-fug the car).
What happens on the way back, we get pulled by the law. Don't think the Iron Cross on the boot or the Strong Arm Patches (they were free with the LP) on each side of the car doors had anything to do with it!

Anyway, long story short and all that, next gig, Graham spots us in the crowd during Strong Arm and just creases up during his bit.

Watch out for the next thrilling instalment including,The insight of Steve Dawson, when taking a piss in a bathroom full of mirrors!
Why you should never let complete strangers act as security at Mildenhall festival!

Great to read all your stories Guy, please keep em comming. Theres certainly some names i remember. Was in the Militia Guard but never managed to go on the bus trips (too young/too expensive) How i envied everyone when reading the "magazine" ;-)

I never went,but, i think the bar in Blackpool was called "Downtown bar"? Son Of a Bitch played there i think.

Any idea where Moz is nowadays? Last i heard ('84 ish) he moved to Wales & got "married" ;-).

guy@benest.wanadoo.co.uk said:
but did you know that it was switched last minute as the manager of the club they were due to play was murdered a couple of days before the gig was due!

So where were they due to play The Lion (as was) in Warrington or somewhere else altogether?

As promised, more tales from the 80's.
I don't want to get anyone into trouble, so the names have been changed.
Me, Baz and Bibbo set of to Mildenhall for an all day festival being headlined by Saxon the day before Heavy Metal Go's To The Dogs at Hackney (oh the days of 2 different festivals in 2 days). Seem to recal we set off from Chester at around 3.00am in Bibbo's Viva (thought it might take a few hours in this particular car). A fairly uneventful journey apart from the driver taking to the grass verges so he could bag himself a lucky rabbits foot (not so lucky for the poor rabbit though).
anyway, to cut a short story long, we got into Mildenhall mid afternoon and in the tradition of a true Metal Heads, sussed out the local drinking establishments! so there we were, partaking of a sociable sweet sherry, when one of the organisers of the gig came into the pub and asked if we fancied earning a few quid. "What's the job" we asked, "security at the gig" came the reply. Manna from heaven, free entry, all access and got to boss people around! Job of the day was manning the access road to where the bands got in, which was quite a sureal moment. This was in the days of Saxon travelling in the Oldsmobile Regency which we spotted a fair distance away, knowing the band by then, we of course had to make them show their passes before we let the past (they loved us for that). Anyway, all was fairly incident free until a Baz decided to launch a half can of lager (heinus crime as it wasn't empty) at a porche containing a rather famous guitarist that Baz worshipped, but didn't recognise (the person in question took afront to being asked for his pass). At this point we decided that we should move into the gig as we didn't fancy the repurcussions of the lager incident.
Don't remeber that much from the actual concert itself, but that may have something to do with how much we had consumed over the previous 24 hrs.
Anyway, back to the car after the gig, tent erected and crashed out for the night.
Following day, notice various long haired youths coming through a gap in the fence with trays of beer. Security back into action! What the fuck are you lot doing, at which point they legged it.
Turned out that they have found a huge walk in refridgeration unit packed full of lager! Well, what was an honest and loyal member of security meant to do? decided that the securest place for the remaining trays of beer would be in the bakc of our car :kickass: !!!!!

Great reading!
My only SAXON Uk expierence is 4 gigs in 4 days on the Dogs tour in 1995.
Nice ones, even got a ride with the tourbus back to London from Basingstoke :Spin:

(Then i´ve seen about another 30gigs in Sweden 1991-2005)

Some memories for Guy & Donna :headbang: :
GuyDonna.jpg

Paxoman said:
Yeah I was a member of the Militia Guard! From what I remember, the fan club wasn't exactly ran very well! I didn't go to any of the events, I was too young back then.

You must have some great memories of events and gigs Guy. You should share some if you got the time, it would be great reading.

Yeah well there were a lot of things I wasn't given like regular info, support etc! Changing management back then like changing underpants was usually to blame back then but I tried!!!

We got some great things together back then the first coach trip to Nijmegen was originally to a gig in France that got pulled after I'd booked everything for the coach etc and then it had to be re-arranged to Nijmegen. The costs involved in running those were incredible and that one was one that was done for love. I certainly didn't make money off doing the fan club I can assure you. The thing was done very primitively and I tried grow with the band with only the support of the members - no funding came from anywhere else except my own pocket. It got to a point where i couldn't do it any longer as i needed to work to eat and gave it up to a faceless company in London.

Does anyone on here remember when with about 7 days notice I had to arrange for fan club members to turn up at Island's Basing Street Studios to do the chants on Denim & Leather? That was a fun one too - jeez some mothers gave me grief - you'd think it was going to be an orgy LOL

Fun days and got to say a big hello to Guy, Gibbo & Donna if your still reading this board!

Gig addiction said:
Great to read all your stories Guy, please keep em comming. Theres certainly some names i remember. Was in the Militia Guard but never managed to go on the bus trips (too young/too expensive) How i envied everyone when reading the "magazine" ;-)

I never went,but, i think the bar in Blackpool was called "Downtown bar"? Son Of a Bitch played there i think.

Any idea where Moz is nowadays? Last i heard ('84 ish) he moved to Wales & got "married" ;-).

nope I never went to live in Wales or got married LOL

Son of a Bitch back then used to play mostly in the Mardis Gras on the Tuesday night rocks nights. They also played downstairs in the Downtown Bar in the Station hotel once. When they became Saxon they also played at the Norbreck Castle Hotel as well.