anyone tried the Metal Machinery SDX!?

@GabeFry
yeah the cymbals need a lot of tweaking but the shells seem to be just fine.
it's the exact opposite of metal foundry which has absolute perfect cymbals but horrible shells, i think a combination of these two might give the best results.

@cobhc
i only own three expansions (lost NY, metal foundry and metal machinery) however if you need 5 toms,
the standard avatar kit seems to have the best sounding toms out of these. "allaire" from the losy NY SDX has the best sounding toms imho but it's only 3 of them so...

@GabeFry
yeah the cymbals need a lot of tweaking but the shells seem to be just fine.
it's the exact opposite of metal foundry which has absolute perfect cymbals but horrible shells, i think a combination of these two might give the best results.

@cobhc
i only own three expansions (lost NY, metal foundry and metal machinery) however if you need 5 toms,
the standard avatar kit seems to have the best sounding toms out of these. "allaire" from the losy NY SDX has the best sounding toms imho but it's only 3 of them so...

It's all about personal preference. I much prefer the snares from metal machinery, but I'm not a huge fan of the cymbals from Metal Foundry. There are some good ones, but I feel like there are alot of weird overtones, and resonances with that pack as well. I know you said you've moved on from EZX's, but the toms on the made of metal are some of my favorite. My favorite toms are from the Allaire kit, but those toms from made of metal to me are pretty much ready to go as is. Another kit I think alot of people sleep on is the Rock Warehouse kit. I really dig the cymbals, and the room sounds from that kit. I'm working on a drum mix for a band starting next week, and I'm really digging the sounds I'm getting from it. The kicks are garbage though.

I used Metal Machine on a recent mix and a few things jumped out at me this time.

The rides seem to be fairly quiet compared to the rest of the cymbals. The choked cymbal hits are weak, and the (left) china is considerably louder than the other (right) and I see no workaround for this aside from automating the volume in the OH track. I have a hell of a time getting the toms to sound natural in fast fills, especially considering they're all baked onto a single stereo track which I still haven't found a workaround for.

Sorry this may be slightly off topic.

I used Metal Machine on a recent mix and a few things jumped out at me this time.

The rides seem to be fairly quiet compared to the rest of the cymbals. The choked cymbal hits are weak, and the (left) china is considerably louder than the other (right) and I see no workaround for this aside from automating the volume in the OH track. I have a hell of a time getting the toms to sound natural in fast fills, especially considering they're all baked onto a single stereo track which I still haven't found a workaround for.

Sorry this may be slightly off topic.

You can definitely adjust kit piece and even articulation volumes in Superior, and probably in EZDrummer.

you can tweak the kit on the main page. when you (i think Alt + or CTRL) click a piece, you can adjust the volume on the bottom right. This changes everything even the volume in ambient OH mics. You can also shift click different kit pieces and change the behavior together.

In EZ-Drummer you can use this to control the ambient channels too but if you want more control over the individual volume you must route them as seperate tracks in your DAW. Lets say you want the hats not that loud in the overheads and room mics you will turn down the volume on the main page, where you could also change what hats are used and when setting the hats output on the mixerpage to DAW Channel 3 for example you can turn the volume up on that fader without getting more overhead/room volume.

superior of course has the better control for this but in EZ you are not as limited as one might think in the fist spot.

cheers jens

In EZ-Drummer you can use this to control the ambient channels too but if you want more control over the individual volume you must route them as seperate tracks in your DAW. Lets say you want the hats not that loud in the overheads and room mics you will turn down the volume on the main page, where you could also change what hats are used and when setting the hats output on the mixerpage to DAW Channel 3 for example you can turn the volume up on that fader without getting more overhead/room volume.
Nice one, thanks!

So we're talking Made Of Metal for Overheads/Hats, Avatar for Toms, and maybe Metal Machine(ry) for Snares/Kicks?

i'd say so! :D

btw. i am selling metal machinery,
i like it but not that much to justify keeping it=the search goes on. maybe the warehouse rock thing might fit my taste better but from what i heard on the TT page, it's OK but nothing special...