Anything cheaper than the v amp pro that...

the firepod is 10 chanell. 2 are spdif (as I understand it) so I could have all 8 preamps open and still monitor/record guitar at the same time as recording drums.

how did you do it when you did your latest project?

My last endevor was:

2 OH, 3 TOM, 2 Snare, and 1 BD. With the amps bleeding into the drums bad (if you listen really closely to the recording I did you can hear the bleed ocasionally). This is something I would like to avoid, plus I heard this is how it's done although I could be wrong.

they make a 2 channel mic preamp that is spdif! and its pretty cheap...

Yea i tracked

1 snare mic

4 tom mics

2 overheads mics

1 highat mic

1 kick mic

and 1 room mic

I actually recorded guitars to a click track and then let drummer play to click and guitar and by the end of the session the drummer didn't even want the guitars anymore and just did it to click track. But yea if time permits have them lay guitar to click track for drummer!

I have 16 inputs though so i have more than enough to do guitar but i wanted drums to be as clean as possible.

That mic preamp is called "m audio duo" I actually used to have one so i could get an extra 2 channels of mic pre's on my old rig!! There like 250 new and probably swoop one on ebay for same price as v amp pro! But if your more aiming to record guitars with drums in same room v amp pro might be cool. But with the duo you could get an extra mic pre for drums or whatever and also one for guitar!!

Presonus DIGITUBE

This might work... Single channel, but I guess it all depends on how you want to track your guitars... I would use this over a vamp though.

I am trying to avoid bleed on the drum track as much as possible (other than normal drum to drum bleed), so the v amp tracks more than likely would end up scrapped or reamped anyways.

Why would you use this over a v amp?

you know you should get that 2 channel one and just use a direct guitar and guitar amp plugin if there gonna be scratch guitars anyway! Then you would get an extra mic pre for drums which is always handy!!