api or neve for modern metal guitar amps

fretfingers

Jan 16, 2011
I'm re-amping for a band with an ubershall, powerball and a knucklehead 2.
Would you guys recommend I use our 2 API channel strips or rent 2 Neve's?

Thanks,
~D

OH NO I HAVE A CHOICE OF TWO EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY PREAMPS, MY WALLET IS TO SMALL FOR MY FIFTIES AND MY DIAMOND SHOES ARE TOO TIGHT.

In all seriousness, I've tracked at studio a few times that has a neve console and a selection of API pre's, I preferred the API. If budget isn't a concern, rent the neves and see how you go!

If you've got the API's then why spend the money renting the Neve's? There may be a slight sound difference, but with the gear you're using the only way you're going to get a bad tone is if you fuck it up. I'd say use the money you were going rent the Neve's with to buy some pizza and beer for the reamping session.

honestly either. If you gain match a Neve 10anything and a API 512c the difference is pretty subtle, especially on guitars.

Having said that I always like neve's for guitars, cause you have the eq as well. I rarely do anything but engage the filters, but it's still nice.

Both will sound great, so the answer is "yes."

I personally don't see much point in renting Neves when you've got a pair of APIs right there.

As far as sound differences, API pres tend to feel punchier and they seem to bring out the mids and highs just a bit more, with the lows feeling tighter and less prominent than with the Neves. In my experience, Neves (1272 and 1073 style) tend to feel a bit thicker and more substantial, but aren't quite as punchy as the API. Now, these are what I'd call "engineer-y descriptions on the internet," meaning that the average person probably wouldn't hear the differences anyway, as they are definitely subtle.

So yeah, use your APIs.

I would use the 512C for modern metal guitars because of it's quicker response and overall clarity...however I found the neve 1073 or 1081 a lot beefier and fuller so it's all a matter of deciding what do you need for the band's sound.

I prefer API's for distorted guitar and neve for vocals, but then again, because of personal preference.

I made a thread at the beginning of the year comparing clips rexorded through chandler tg2, neve 1073, and api 512c. I'd link you but im on a phone.

I would use the 512C for modern metal guitars because of it's quicker response and overall clarity...however I found the neve 1073 or 1081 a lot beefier and fuller so it's all a matter of deciding what do you need for the band's sound.

I prefer API's for distorted guitar and neve for vocals, but then again, because of personal preference.

This.

The transits are cleaner on an API, while the Neves will round it out more, but smear it a bit in the process.

api all the way, I own 512 c, it's my working horse. Use neve for vocals as said above, If u use dynamic mics 4 vocals also, use api 4 vocals too. api brings to life all the sm57 sm7 sm58 and other stuff!

I've got API 512c, Great River MP2NV (basically a 1073) and a Vintech Dual 72.... The API's usually get the heavy rhythms, but I'll switch things up for cleans & leads... But there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Neve stuff on heavies.

Hell, a Great River can sound amazing on heavies in 'low impedance' mode with a 57.