Apiary - Lost In Focus

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Apiary – Lost in Focus
Metal Blade Records – 3984-14567-2 – April 18, 2006
By Zack Attaran

apiary2020lost20in20focar3.jpg

Apiary should be feeling pretty good about things right now. Having released their debut CD off of metal blade and about to tour the states, there shouldn’t be too many things worrying them, especially a tiny review consisting of a few hundred words on UltimateMetal. Unfortunately, Apiary is about as edgy as a baseball bat. As a matter of fact, that’s exactly what their sound is like. They just keep pounding the same dissonant chords in, and eventually, just like a baseball bat, it starts to hurt. Apiary is random, chotic and for the most part, pretty boring. The first song is a little bit cool, but then their style wears off real quick and all Apiary seems to accomplish is being mind numbing.

The style is apparently “tech-metal”, featuring extremely discordant high pitched chords that go nowhere and trade off with a very harsh mid-pitched scream from Peter Layman. Maybe I’m too weak for this kind of stuff, but the rough screams combined with the very horribly produced drums and pointless guitars makes me wonder what the attraction to this is. I personally find the jarring chords hard to listen to, but if pain is your maxim, then this is definitely for you.

4.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Apiary Website
Official Metal Blade Records Website

I actually really enjoyed this album, the drums sound fine and the riffs are definately techy, but still conherent. It's more cohesive than alot of the other technical metalcore rubbish out there.