Applying GClip to snare

The only way I could see, and I havent used LE at all, is to print the snare out to an audio track and then put gclip on it. I dont know if that's doable with all the bleed mics and room mics going and if it would mess that up, though.

EDIt : Hahah what audiosprite said.

When I clip my snares you can't even hear that it has been clipped AND I instantly kill off 5db on average, that's 5db louder I can push the master before the snare disappears.

Yeah i've recently gotten the Tracks clipper and I'm loving it. Mastering Engineers have been clipping their converters for this same reason for a long ass time. Just don't go overboard with it, and it can be quite helpful in today's "gotta be loud as fuck" world.

tried it a bunch of times and never really got along with it.... i don't have too much of a problem with my snares being destroyed... simply doesn't happen anymore because i suppose i learned how to do it simply a different way! =D

Anyone have a problem with clippers adding a "CH" sound to the snare while dulling the attack? That's in particular why I don't care for it, but I'm probably doesin it wrong.

I'm also probably not describing it right, so I'll try to come up with a clip or something.

The one time I tried it before sending it out of house to master it was a disaster. Just goes to show a $12k mastering chain doesn't need any help. :lol:

Anyone have a problem with clippers adding a "CH" sound to the snare while dulling the attack? That's in particular why I don't care for it, but I'm probably doesin it wrong.

I'm also probably not describing it right, so I'll try to come up with a clip or something.

The one time I tried it before sending it out of house to master it was a disaster. Just goes to show a $12k mastering chain doesn't need any help. :lol:

Yes, I have this problem as well!
I tried the whole, bouncing only the snare out and making it its' own track, then applying GClip to that. But the snare really lost a lot of power and if I turned it up it just sounded like balls.
So I've scratched the GClip idea, and I guess now I'm just trying to balance the level of the snare in the mix.

On a different note, everyone here really seems to praise Reaper. It's THAT good?

On a different note, everyone here really seems to praise Reaper. It's THAT good?
In my opinion, yes it is. Although this is coming from someone who only has in-depht experience with cubase, logic and reaper, and oh my do i hate cubase (i just really dislike the whole workflow, but his is pure preference of mine, cubase is a decent sequencer).

And of course for the asking price of the small licence... its unbeatable cheap and can do virtually anything, it does not have some comfort features some other DAWs give the user, but i feel reaper does deliver the most solid package of all daw's mentioned, even if you do not consider the price.

I understand your concern, if its really not possible I'd try to wing some limiter somewhere (either main or drums master) and see if that does anything for your poppy snare.

/ Oh yeah, trolling has already commenced, so go buy reaper naow !

I don't get what is so hard with clipping.
Here you got fast tutorial to use of GClip!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ It's not that it's a difficult plugin to operate. The SOUND of the clipper is not attractive to a lot of guys. I know if I go more than 2 dB or so on the clipper that my snare starts getting a little obnoxious sounding. Kinda.... sandpapery if you will. Some guys just don't like the sound.

I usually just end up clipping the tip of some transients before they hit the master bus compressor so it compresses the whole mix a bit more evenly with the same apparent level (and then the transient usually sounds a bit more intact this way - even if it was clipped).

but if you clip only snare, kick and toms close mic tracks you won't notice it in whole mix. Just saying :D

Depends on the situation. In some cases, light clipping won't be very noticeable. In other cases, it's extremely noticeable. A lot of guys don't like what it does to the sound. And it most certainly does affect the sound.