Aptrigga > Drumagog!!

If your original source sound is so terrible you don't want it in the mix, Q it until you have the stick & attack of the drum. Use that to trigger apTrigga and blend the original signal in with the sample(s). That sounds more like the actual drummer than using multi-samples, random multi-samples, etc. A good drummer doesn't hit the skin in random places when playing, he makes every effort to hit it in the exact spot to get the sound he wants. A sloppy drummer will hit the drum in random places, and that's what Drumagog's random multi-samples sound like to me. I know you can turn it off, it's an option, but Drumagog's amount of multi-samples is what sets it apart from the other drum replacers, so without that, what's it worth?

I wanted to love Drumagog and we tried to make it work, but sometimes relationships just don't work out. "It's not you, it's me" - Drumagog :lol:

Terry Date & Andy Sneap aren't using 48 multi-samples anywhere, even though a lot of drums are completely replaced. The snare is consistent. The toms are consistent. The kick is consistent. A few good sounding samples that compliment the kit and a good drummer are all you need.

I too converted a couple of weeks ago from Drumagog to APTrigga and I've gotta say I've never been happier with a drum replacement/reinforcement plug-in. I don't miss anything about Drumagog whatsoever. Except maybe how much I loved it bogging my machine down. :lol:

I can run so many more instances of APTrigga it's not even funny...and with better results and less tweaking of the plug-in to get it sounding right. Drumagog took work to make it trigger correctly, APTrigga is a lot tighter and is a breeze to setup in comparison. 9 samples is plenty for me. Especially since the only thing I replace 100% ever is the kick. The snare I will only use samples to blend in and reinforce the sound. Toms I've done the same with in the past, only to make them a little thicker, etc., but never replacing all the way.

I love APTrigga, best $44.95 I've ever spent.

~e.a

The snare is consistent. The toms are consistent. The kick is consistent.

Yep, and that's why andys drums sound like machines. They sound even more like machines than the drums on FF's Demanufacture, where it was the intention to sound like a machine.

Multisampling isn't about sampling random hits - you can hit the drum exactly at the same spot and it will sound different, depending on minimal variations in strength, angle, speed and so on, YKWIM. That's what is called humanity.

So.. augmenting with aptrigga - yes. But completely replacing - no. You'll need multisamples.

(Apart from the fact that the best way to get killer drums is recording a good drummer with a good & well-tuned drumset in a good room with good mics, pres & placement, I know..)

Wow, all the love for Drumagog suddenly died. I remember not too long ago, people were glad to have it over aptrigga. I may have to give it a spin...

Have to say that the mis-triggering on drumagog has been getting on my nerves slightly.

Both are ace products... one obviously has all the bells and whistles on it and has a decent price.

The other one (we'll call it aptrigga shall we?) is just so suprisingly damn good for it's price.

Yep, and that's why andys drums sound like machines. They sound even more like machines than the drums on FF's Demanufacture, where it was the intention to sound like a machine.

Multisampling isn't about sampling random hits - you can hit the drum exactly at the same spot and it will sound different, depending on minimal variations in strength, angle, speed and so on, YKWIM. That's what is called humanity.

So.. augmenting with aptrigga - yes. But completely replacing - no. You'll need multisamples.

Like I said, drums are meant to be played, not replaced. I don't record drum tracks that need to be completely replaced. If I did, I may as well program them! Why bother setting up a kit, tuning it, and putting up mics?

Drumagog has a "random multi-sample" option, which is what I was referring to. Have you used both programs on a variety of material? Have you tried completely replacing a kick with a 48 multi-sample GOG? It doesn't sound good. What does sound good is using a few good hits, with the hardest hit accenting the 1st downbeat of each measure, the 1st downbeat of the chorus, etc. Most drummers naturally have this dynamic. It drives the rhythm.

If you're completely replacing a snare, all hope is lost.

Have to say that the mis-triggering on drumagog has been getting on my nerves slightly.

This can be solved (unconventionally) If you're replacing 100%.
I'm using cubase so i'm not sure about PT. when working on mis-triggered tom-rolls for eg. I'd cut on both sides of the individual tom (as close as possible) then use the blue (volume) square in the center on top of the audio part to raise the volume enough so that each peak of the tom hits are easily read in Drumagog. But not much that it changes the realism of the entire tom roll.

It seems to work for me...

EDIT: where can i get hold of the Aptrigga demo?

This can be solved (unconventionally) If you're replacing 100%.
I'm using cubase so i'm not sure about PT. when working on mis-triggered tom-rolls for eg. I'd cut on both sides of the audio part (as close as possible) then use the blue (volume) square in the center on top of the audio part to raise the volume enough so that each peak of the tom hits in drumagog are easily read.

You're artificially raising the amplitude of each hit, so Drumagog isn't going to be accurately "choosing" a multi-sample. Have you tried using the filter?

You're artificially raising the amplitude of each hit, so Drumagog isn't going to be accurately "choosing" a multi-sample. Have you tried using the filter?

no no not each hit (maybe i wasn't clear) each tom, say for instance the drummer is doing 4 hits on each tom, you'd seperate the 4 hits together. Because if the roll was so soft/uneven that it could not be detected, it probably would not sound good without drumagog, you'd want to raise the volume to a level that the drummer would have hit it.
(I hope this is making sense)

Ah. Well, that will still cause Drumagog to choose higher amplitude samples. But, I understand why you do that. It's because Drumagog sucks at triggering. I used to do stuff like that when I was trying to get Drumagog working. I tried doing that. I tried using the filter. I tried combinations of both, and always felt frustrated. It was always harder than it seemed like it should be. I put apTrigga on a track like that, 9 times out of 10 it will work without immediately without any tweaking at all. If it does need tweaking, it takes about 30 seconds and it works. No frustration. That's why I switched from Drumagog. Why should I perform a bunch of workarounds to get it to do what it's supposed to do in the first place?

what about pre-compression? lol maybe i should stop backing Drumagog and try Aptrigga.
is it as CPU heavy as Drumagog?

what about pre-compression? lol maybe i should stop backing Drumagog and try Aptrigga.
is it as CPU heavy as Drumagog?

Compression will make it even harder to trigger, because it will bring the transients down. apTrigga is easier on the CPU than Drumagog.

Not really. What I think this has turned out to be is just a truthful collection of experiences between the two products. Like I've said, and many others on this thread, I have Drumagog and APTrigga and I just feel like apt is a much more "bang-for-your-buck" plug-in. It does the same job, but more efficiently, to me. It's wayyyy less CPU intensive and has yielded *much* better results with far less effort. And with Drumagog, as somebody mentioned, between a few different settings the samples will sound totally different. If you use the settings that keep the true sound of the samples, then your machine will suffer performance wise. To use it with minimal CPU hit, the sample's quality deteriorates. Meanwhile, APTrigga, using it "as-is", does not alter the quality of the sample(s) being used, and in general it is much less of a resource hog.

~e.a

Hmm, how can you use APTrigga to *completely* replace non-printed EzDrummer (or any such) tracks? If I fade the Dry down to 0%, while leaving Wet at 100% in APTrigga, I can't hear anything anymore - just silence in the track. It doesn't seem to replace anything until the original sound is also too audible in the background (messing up the sound).

Something I missed?